Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

I’d rather have a defender than him, but who knows what we’re thinking. Maybe pushing Elliott a bit lower down the pecking order. Or maybe as an early Thiago replacement, not in style, but in terms of getting a body in now, one we believe we can do something with long term.

Endo…?

3 Likes

Yes, but he’ll need to be rotated at times. Plus you have to factor in the risk for injuries and Bajcetic’s development.

Having only Endo (unproven in PL) and Bajcetic (young) as DM options for a club chasing top 4 seems thin at this stage.

2 Likes

I see. Then we should be targeting a player to play instead of Szoboszlai as well. He’s not PL proven either.

Funny, but facetious. You know full well we have more cover in that area.

I don’t think there’s any PL proven DM’s out there that are in the older category?

Masch?

1 Like

What’s your definition of old. Older than 30 ?

Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Jones, and Elliott is also 2 players per position, so it seems like the same amount of depth to me. Thiago can cover both, but is probably more of a 6 at this point with how we’re asking our 8s to play.

Not a comment on you specifically, but I’ve noticed a phenomenon we could call Schrödinger’s Bajčetić: he’s an excellent prospect… until there’s any chance of him getting onto the pitch, at which point we must absolutely sign another player instead.

Frankly, I don’t see the advantage of another midfielder in terms of depth when realistically it would mean that Bajčetić should go on loan in order to keep progressing.

9 Likes

to be honest, my feeling is Klopp is leaning more towards a young versatile CM who can also play the DM role when needed. I do think we will sign a young CM (kone, thuram)

Barring multiple injuries/suspensions all coming at once, the midfield is covered.

We really need to be focusing on getting a defender now.

5 Likes

How many games until Endo is considered PL experienced? Surely at some point this season that concern goes away.

3 Likes

I think we could see Thiago covering both the deep(Endo/Stefan) and left(Mac/Jones) of midfield .We have slightly less cover for the right midfield position.

I do think knowing our horrid injury luck of late , we would be better off signing one more.

Not to mention the fatigue to the players if we go all the way in Europa.

We need one more signing to cover in midfield. It’s not Gravenberch as my pick though

1 Like

This ignore the player who played it for our first two games, Jones who played it with aplomb with England in the summer, and Thiago for whom it is his most natural role in this set up.

They may not be players who play it the way you think the role should be played, but that is a different argument.

2 Likes

Klopp seems happy enough with them as cover, also Curtis and Thiago.

Being satisfied, being content , being happy.

There’s a lot of difference there. One reason where I wish we have a genuine DoF to vote against Klopp and get those targets in like we had with Edwards. If the DoF feels that there’s a need for further signings , then those should be done regardless of whether Klopp wants the additional numbers or not

Eh?

Of course, but right now he isn’t experienced at this level. I missed the match, but there were reports that he wasn’t up to speed, understandably in the circumstances. He may well fit right in, or he may not, but the fact is that we just don’t know at the moment.
The same can be said, for very different reasons, about Bajcetic.
Ideally, they both stay fit and are great players for us.
As we stand, we just can’t be sure.