Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Erm… haven’t we got two already?

2 Likes

If you mean Gomez and Matip why hasn’t Klopp played them there unless he has doubts over their suitability Gomez is ok speed wise but too injury prone and Matip is too slow you saw that Japanese winger (sprinter)from Brighton he left both of them for dead

Ibou and Matip.

Virg can also play in the RCB position once we find his long-term successor on the left.

1 Like

Ibou definitely but it leaves the centre of defence exposed I was well impressed with Sevilla’s défense against shitty

Agreed,if he is a passive type of player we probably don’t need him.
But,it appears he has had issues with Tuchel,not that hard,it seems, that could be an explanation, he is only young and probably hasn’t got a handle on how to handle some people…if that is all, he will learn smartly under a Manager like Klopp.

I see some concerns about Gravenberch occupying the final non-homegrown place. But since he just turned 21 in May, he would still classify as an U-21 player this season (at least in the PL, not Europa League though), so would not occupy the non-HG slot until the next season (when the likes of Thiago, Matip and Adrian leave anyway). Thus, we could still potentially bring in another non-HG midfielder or CB this season.

That being said, I do not see us going in for Gravenberch. He is IMO not any better than the likes of Jones and Elliott and would only be in their way. Maybe such a move would make sense if he could provide a decent cover as a DM like e.g. Hendo or Gini did - now we only have two DMs (one experienced and one very young), and none of the other options are really good at that no. 6 position (Thiago never played there for us, Mac and Jones should really only be used there in case of midfield catastrophe). So unless Klopp or someone thinks Gravenberch can become a solid option at the DM position, I cannot see us going for him and rather find another player for this position (Andre or Doucoure maybe).

Didnt get off the bench yesterday in Bayerns opener.

In the Supercup vs Leipzig too.

Guess they are clearly looking to sell.

Player who wants to leave due to lack of regular match time doesn’t get regular match time, lol

2 Likes

Not sure why he’d come here if it’s game time he’s worried about, he’d be swapping one bench for another.

1 Like

Might get some game time in the next three :wink:

I just read in the German gossip media that even if Gravenberch would leave to England he prefers to go to Manchester United, that might be because of playing Champions league, or maybe Ten Haag etc.

I still prefer to sign a defender.

3 Likes

Think the apt comparision to him as a footballer is someone like a Donny VDB. He’ll rot in United the same way VDB has. He’s not good enough for us.

2 Likes

More likely he sees them as giving him more games and a bigger payday.

1 Like

This transfer makes no sense to me.

1 Like

It doesn’t make sense to me either. I wonder if our interest in this player has anything to do with Pep Lijnders’ influence?

True,makes no sense all,and if he fancies the Mancs then it makes even less sense.

1 Like

If these reports are to be believed - and I have some healthy skepticism - it tells me that Klopp has a very high opinion of the player.

I don’t think there’s a problem with adding another CM - we do need to rotate. Plus if the plan is to play Mac at DM at least until Andre (or another player) arrives in the next couple windows, we need someone other than Gakpo to occupy the other number 8 slot next to Szobo.

Of our current squad, that’s basically the oft-injured Thiago (if he doesn’t get sold), Jones, or Elliott. Adding another player to that mix at an affordable price is reasonable.

I would rather pursue another CB and DM, but the market dictates who is available and it appears that there is no one currently linked with us who fits our profile - younger, talented and reasonably affordable.

1 Like

Smokescreen

2 Likes

France Love GIF by Paris Saint-Germain