Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Apart from the fact that we now only have one non-HG place left and I would much rather have a defender, why should we try to get him when he has meanwhile said several times publicly that he wants to stay in Munich. He doesn’t want to leave, he just wants more playing time.

1 Like

Ah cool just seen it.

I’ll pop it in the links.

1 Like

I think he is just covering his bases. If he doesn’t move to us after being so public about wanting the move, then it puts him in an awkward position at Bayern.

A new manager coming in, no firm offer from us, and Bayern saying they didn’t want to sell probably meant he needed to show he was willing to stay to be on the side of the new manager to gain some assurances around game time.

2 Likes

Strikes me as someone we like from his Ajax days that we think could be far better than what Bayern have got out of him thus far.

If we can’t get a defender then maybe we think an extra midfielder like him would give us cover for now and a replacement for Thiago on the books before he leaves next summer.

I still think we could see a flurry of activity towards the end of the window as squads get finalised and I wouldn’t be that surprised to see Thiago head to Saudi if a deal for another midfielder can be secured. Gravenberch on deadline day for a reasonable fee because he’s fallen out with Tuchel and Thiago goes just after before the Saudi window closes.

Whispers about his work ethic make me very nervous… of course Gini came with whispers that he would only play hard for Newcastle if deployed as a #10 and no one could ever fault his effort for us, so this could turn out the same way - the young player just needs the right sort of encouragement or motivation (“Run or I will kill you” might be exactly the method).

1 Like

Klopp won’t sign him if any concerns over work ethic. Look at his comments on Endo

1 Like

Those lederhosen wearing weirdos couldn’t get a tune out of Sadio Mane and he went from model pro to problem player in less than six months.

I wouldn’t be putting too much stock in what’s coming out from them when it comes to players who are unhappy there. Especially now Tuchel is in charge.

8 Likes

I agree, though I can’t see us going for a CM.

Never know.

I think we are now beyond needing cover. We have 7 players now for 3 positions (Endo, Maca, Dom, Jones, Elliott, Baj, Thiago) even before considering the new crop of kids and options like dropping in Gapko.

This is less a statement on Gravenberch than the general philosophy, but to me that puts us at the stage where any new player has to be someone we feel would expect themselves to get the start in a CL final. If that is RG, then great lets go for him. But if it’s not, then this filling midfield by committee approach just results in having an extra player the fans roll their eyes at when they see him getting a game.

I’d be happier at this point to keep our powder dry unless we can find someone who will make a real impact.

8 Likes

If we think he’s better than Jones and Elliott, he’s more experienced than Baj and more likely to be fit than Thiago then I’m all for him coming to challenge the likes of Dom and Mac. The next lot of kids are a way off where we need them to be now and Gakpo isn’t a midfielder.

We possibly wanted one more when Henderson and Fabinho were here. Both of them have gone with only Endo arriving this far. Thiago is gone no later than next summer. If they are convinced on Gravenberch and he can be had for a below market value deal then we absolutely should do it.

Worst case is we’re carrying an extra player for a year until Thiago goes. Means there’s no rush for getting Baj back, we can be more cautious with Thiago and probably Jones too and we don’t have to use forward options to cover midfield holes.

I’m increasingly focused on a players intensity - players like Gravenberch don’t really interest me because I just think he’s so, so passive. There’s no drive, no determination - lots of talent but without those mental attributes then the player doesn’t interest me.

9 Likes

We should buy in Thiago’s replacement though. If we can get in someone one year ahead , it makes a lot of sense. He doesn’t need to be Thiago’s direct replacement , someone who can cover both LCB and CDM. Someone young so that there’s still time to decide what’s the best position to play him in.

I think it’s more likely now that if we are doing that, it is with a plan for them to arrive next summer, perhaps Jan at the earliest.

2 Likes

If we do then I’d support getting him him in. I am not at all suggesting not to bring anyone in. If they are of enough quality to force their way into the side for important games, even if only next year (e.g. Lavia like profile) then great, I’m just speaking to the sense of trauma we have carried over from 20-21 and last season that seems to make some people just want to bring in bodies to give us numbers. The “squad player” who looks cheap and attractive, that is until they get to play

2 Likes

Quick twitter search for Gravenberch to see what the source is for the news and I’m really really surprised to see so many people saying “Gravenberch and Doucoure and I’ll be happy”.

Can’t see any world where we get both, and to even suggest that could happen feels absolutely wild to me.

Might just be me.

2 Likes

and then we can’t sell. Would be depressing to go out and sign a player we don’t really want for more than we got for Fabinho and Hendo, just to tick a box saying we signed a DM.

1 Like

Ahhh I see. Think we’re on the same page then. I’m not particularly advocating for Gravenberch. I’ve see a couple games of him in the CL for Ajax and thought he looked really promising but nothing enough to say he’s the one I think we should get.

There was some talk of our interest when he went to Bayern so I’m just thinking if he fits what Klopp wants and there’s a good deal to be struck with Bayern then I think we could do that.

But if not him, then definitely someone.

That is precisely the complaint I heard from Ajax supporters, loads of ability but no desire.

1 Like

Is it just me then who’d view Grav for £20m as a absolute bargain?

Be astonished if Bayern let him go that cheap.

3 Likes

All we need now is a tall RCB then we’ll get Andre in January

1 Like