Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Can anybody point me in the direction of the Gravenberch thread?

1 Like

I think being able to review the 8 years of Firmino to the 8 months of Gakpo does help Firmino.

7 Likes

I am willing to believe we could pull a rabbit out of the hat and find a gem in a Stuttgart side no one else was looking at. I find it a lot harder to believe in that being likely under the circumstances in which we turned to him. I think we are maybe smelling our own farts a bit on this one if we have expectations of him coming in and bossing things.

2 Likes

Firmino’s worst 8 months were better.

Anyway, back to another overated Dutch player in Gravenberch.

Firmino’s first 8ish months at Liverpool are among the worst spells i remember any footballer having here. Couldn’t control, passs, play…i thought he was terrible.

I like Gakpo, i think he’ll be good, even with a slow start this year. Doesn’t help asking him to start as a #8.

Well Firmino had a long time to establish that quality. Gakpo came into a shitshow of a team as a winger, moved to CF and played very well before now being shunted into midfield because of matters beyond his control.

Gakpo doesn’t have to be Firmino, he doesn’t have the same appreciation of space but he’s much better at driving through the middle with the ball.

Gakpo is a good player, I need to read back to see why he’s catching strays in this thread. Its not his fault Nunez didn’t play well at CF (but did on the LW) or that Jones is injured - he’s spending too much time filling in for other people.

Eventually I think it’ll be Diaz-Gakpo-Nunez as our front three when Salah leaves next summer but how it fits together in practice I’m not sure yet.

3 Likes

It’s a bit like Jota, one period you’d say get rid and sell him, other period he is unstoppable.

Nunez is another. We seem to judge players on their last 5 games, I generally think the forward line is great at the moment, I generally feel Jones if he wasn’t injured would be a shoein, Elliott is even showing form but we all know it’s been a slog to this position.

As for Endo the cadáver like performance of Fabinho last season can’t not be improved on. That’s not to say he wasn’t great for us for several seasons.

3 Likes

For the mooted price of £30m(ish) i think its a bit of a no brainer. Brings plenty of potential, hes big and strong, clearly has plenty of skills. At the price, my big hope is that we also bring in a CB.

A player i was keen for us to sign last year before he chose Bayern. Hasnt gone well for him there, but doesnt mean hes not got it. Sometimes players need the right environment.

3 Likes

I’ve said on here before but when we played Ajax and they were both in the pitch, Jones looked the better player for me. But I’m still pretty excited about him purely because we’ve obviously rated him for a long time and wanted him all summer, including Klopp. That’s enough for me to be excited about it, even if the player and his record don’t quite get me there.

This and a young centre back and I’ll be made up.

1 Like

Give Gapko a break, he’s only been here since January
bobby wasnt exactly great in his first 7 months with us, if memory serves me correct.

2 Likes

I actually thought Gakpo is a great young player with bags of talent. Klopp will do wonders with the kid.

I remember he was playing midfield at that point and looked awful. Klopp came in an he was a new man in a new spot.

Must confess to being a tad underwhelmed by this, if it happens!
However,I expect those involved know what they are doing.
He is young and the right environment can help anyone let alone a young lad like this.
The timing is a bit of a worry, though,and I reckon a CB needs to found in a hurry.

I understand the reservations about him, but if you told me at the beginning of the summer we’d sign Macca, Szobs, and Gravenberch I’d be thrilled.

2 Likes

If I wake up tomorrow and see that there are 10 new posts in this thread then I know we have signed him.

On ‘he can’t get minutes at Bayern - how should he get them here…’

He played 10 minutes for them in three games and in our current situation he would have had plenty more already.

In the PL the intensity is higher which meant more injuries throughout the squads → more players needed.

We have 4 matchdays more than in the Bundesliga, an additional Cup competition and the EL has potentially 2 games more to the final than the CL.

We would have 8 midfielders with him and - not saying he is better than Jones, Bajcetic, Elliott - the money spent on him would put him to 3rd to 5th in the midfield hierarchy.

1 Like

The circumstances related to how you get a player don’t determine how good a player he is. Endo had almost universal praise by everyone who had watched him play in the Bundesliga.

That impressive feat in itself (in an age of extreme criticism), and the fact that he is now a Liverpool player should earn him the benefit of the doubt. Yet we are such a horrible bunch who can’t wait to write him off.

By your logic, our first choice is always best and down the pecking order the ones we pass on can’t be any good??? This late in the window, no one can be our first choice, so why bother at all?

No one is saying we didn’t have a failure in executing part of our summer transfer strategy… but it is too early to say we didn’t come out ok especially if we can get in a good CB (who was likely not our first choice at the beginning of the window).

2 Likes

I think he will be cover / backup for Trent. Gomez will dedicated as CB. We don’t have anymore can play in Trent role and he is very up and down recently.

If there are fifty it’ll be because a row has broken out over refereeing, transgender athletes or who should play Dr Who.

4 Likes

Or just a load of puns.

1 Like