Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

“Liverpool Man arrested at Blackpool airport after trying to breach security onto runway 1”

1 Like

That was the kind of tweet he was putting out on Fabinho.

Evidently he didn’t know anything but he needs constant content.

1 Like

Not in absolute terms but you clearly can infer information such as how much confidence we have in their quality and their goodness of fit by the circumstances of the pursuit. Simply put if there is someone available for less than 20m who we genuinely believed had everything we needed we wouldn’t have gone through what we went through over the much more expensive options we were pursuing before him.

No. The path we took to identifying Endo has a lot more information in it about how much faith we had in him than him simply not being our “first choice”. But again, this is not an absolute statement on how good he is, but one of our team’s own faith on how good a fit he is. He may surprise even our team in how much of a positive impact he has, but I think we have to be honest in the expectations of the transfer guys for him.

That’s an argument against something I didnt come close to saying.

Seen a lot of people saying they don’t understand where he fits in, and I completely get that. Like if we continue in the box midfield there’s a world where Trent-Thiago Dom-Mac is first choice and Baj-Endo Elliot-Jones is second choice none of which are players who you wanna see miss out on opportunities and none of which deserve to be 9th choice in midfield (I don’t think anyway).

But on the other hand we saw Elliot and Dom finish the last game as a double pivot with no other real midfielders available. So you can easily see him getting lots of games and opportunities.

Not necessarily perhaps. I read somewhere, and can’t substantiate it off the top of my head, but I believe we haven’t paid a fee for a player above 26 apart from Thiago, Shaqiri, and him.

I’m inclined to believe that our process/system heavily overweights age as a factor, not so much just out of pure “residual value” but mainly due to the number of years we can get them at or approaching their peak. In that sense it makes much less sense to get someone in who probably has only about 5 good years in them that we can get, since ideally we would want to invest for the longer-term.

Despite what many fans seem to want, we don’t “get bodies in” except on loan, and even then we try to avoid that. Instead, we tend to go for players who are undervalued, who may yet have an impact for us and be more than worth their transfer, and I think Arthur actually falls into this bracket, with the option to buy we had.

I think it’s this mindset that led us to decide not to bother with new signings after Tchouameni failed last year.

EDIT: I failed to draw the obvious conclusion from that, that we think that Gravenberch at the right price might represent this value.

2 Likes

I’m not worried at all. Klopp is the one who has to fit him in and he clearly sees something in him given the long standing interest.

In all honesty, no player should be safe. If he’s more of what we need than Elliott for example and that means Elliott’s chances become more limited and he ends up wanting to move on then so be it. Competition for places is good and we’ve not had that in midfield really for a while now.

There’s also the fact Thiago is off next summer and so if we’re a bit heavy this season but means we don’t need to go midfield shopping again next season then im all for that. We’re going to need to focus on centre back next summer and possibly even a replacement for Mo so if there’s one less area to worry about because we got the lad Klopp wants a season early then as far as im concerned that’s some great long term planning. More of that please.

6 Likes

I saw Klopp’s first ever game in charge at Anfield, (a friendly), and I think it was Bobby’s first game too? He was playing a more traditional midfield role IIRC and didn’t have a very good game. The star of the show that day was Jordon Ibe! It was a while before Bobby settled in and found his role. Gakpo hasn’t had time yet, but I think he will be fantastic!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1697253392710779020

I believe Bobby’s first games came under the outstanding Brendan Rogers.

2 Likes

What’s up with Plettenberg and these ‘total verbal agreements’ all the time? No idea what that even means

Yeah, but the rest is absolutely spot on.

its like a caicedo kinda verbal…can change anytime

1 Like

Fulham losing some key players this summer.

Mitrovic, Adarabioyo, Solomon (albeit for only half a season), possibly Palhinha and Willian.

Seems to be the norm now for clubs to agree terms with the player and have a contract prepared knowing at some stage they’ll get a done materialised with the club.

That was the first 7 months, but we are know at the end of the 8th month and he hasn’t won us the WC, P/L, C/L FA Cup, League Cup, SPL, Serie A, La Liga, League Un, so it is obvious he is shite :wink:

1 Like

Not shite, just a big lanky streak of meh.

Any old shite gets defended on here though, carry. He’s world class, as good as Firmino :innocent:

Is this still the Gravenberch thread? Just checking.

4 Likes

Allegedly. It’s funny how a player that we haven’t even signed can go from generational talent to talentless journeyman to forgotten footnote within the course of an afternoon.

3 Likes

That’s where he got his character from

well, I don’t mind what I see from 5min of highlights but hardly able to judge his attitude or his tactical awareness.

Looks to me like he is two-footed, wonder if he would be open to sliding into our DM’s… or a potential CB? definitely has the frame for it, and good at taking the ball away.

Where’s the link, FFS!!?!?!?!?!

I NEED TO READ THIS!