Sparta Prague vs Liverpool: Europa League, R16, March 7 Thursday, 17:45

Can’t forget the Cheaty game; it’s a virtual title decider. Sure this game matters but no way I’d risk anyone likely to need to sit out Cheaty so they could play here. A draw or even a one goal loss, provided we remain injury free and primed and rejuvenated for the weekend, would be alright.

Sparta Prague are a decent team. They are not an easy opponent. This season they thrashed Roma 3-0 and Galatasaray 4-1 at home, Real Betis /1-0/ and Dinamo Zagreb /4-1/ were other victims of Sparta’s home advantage.

Still we need to rotate, the league is the most important and probably most of our players will need a rest after a grueling schedule lately.

Kelleher - Bradley - Konate - Quansah - Tsimikas; Endo - Szoboszlai - Clarke; Diaz - Danns - Gakpo;

Bradley to start for 45 minutes and then Gomez to finish the match. Same for Konate and VvD.

Endo and Diaz did not play a minute vs. Southampton, so they could start and play at least 60 minutes. MacAllister needs protection, he played too much football and is our best midfielder, 30 minutes max in midweek. Clarke loos good and not out fo place, so he could play 60 minutes. Szoboszlai looked rusty yesterday, he can use 45-60 minutes to gain rhythm.

Danns also looks good and I prefer to see him centrally, while Gakpo will try to show an impovement of his form. He is getting enough chances lately, but I won’t say that he impressed me.

VvD, Gomez, Elliott, Salah /hopefully/, Nunez, Robbo will give Klopp solid options and extra energy from the bench.

4 Likes

All I want for Christmas is a Sparta Prague away win…

3 Likes

1-1!

3 Likes

I agree with your sentiment - just worry about the number of players you listed playing 45 mins and 60 mins considering 5 subs.

I reckon it would be good to think about the following 3 things for the team make up:

1. Macalister and Elliot getting a rest and maybe get 10-15 min at the end to keep their eye in
  2. Salah getting some significant air time, possibly the last 20-25 min
  3. Slobo, Gapko and Robbo to get the full wack in an effort to find their grooves
1 Like

Good line up. I would replace Gakpo with Koumas or give Mo a run out to warm up for City.

The competition I am least interested in as you have to fail in order to qualify for it. Would be nice to win but comes 4th in the ranking for me…rest players and go stronger in the home leg…

2 Likes

Disagree. International competition is important. Europe has always been at the heart of our club.
I’d say - PL, EL, FAC in that order.

11 Likes

Didn’t Mourinho say something similar? Disappointing from you, @Rambler ; makes you sound like an entitled modern fan, which you most definitely are not.

1 Like

Agree with that order. Although it’s PL and then daylight before the others.

3 Likes

Would say the same if it was the CL not the EL. Until we have won another half dozen titles, winning rhe PL is always going to be streets ahead of anything else.

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel, formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Nyoni, McConnell, Koumas, Danns ans Gordon all playing for the U21s right now.

2 Likes

I really want a (relatively) senior team in for this one. Throwing in big players for the first time against our closest title rivals isn’t smart.

1 Like

Odd as Danns played yesterday.

Anyhow no doubt we take them still 4 days away.

Yeah no doubt at all. McConnell and Koumas just came off at half time so a decent bet they’ll be in line to start.

2 Likes

Agreed. Players returning from injuries will need minutes to regain sharpness.

Sparta - Slavia 0-0 in the Prague derby. Means Sparta stays four points clear at the top of the domestic league with Slavia in second place.

Let’s hope it was a tiring game for them :grimacing:

1 Like

Perhaps they were more happy to stay undefeated in that game.