Summer Transfer Window 2021

Opens today. There’s an interview with Peter Krawietz on the official site (linked below).

That states the following;

The centre-back’s transfer from RB Leipzig was completed on Thursday, with Konate having agreed a long-term contract with the Reds in May.

I think he will be at Kirkby from 12 July, when pre-season starts, so probably need to wait till then for a photo or lean.

2 Likes

There’s still something a little fishy for me over Declan Rice playing holding midfield for a top team playing a proactive style. I don’t know how to describe it, maybe I’m already completely wrong. I like the kid ever since I saw him in a training clip at West Ham (I think it was under Bilic) before his debut and thought immediately “this boy has pretty good technique for someone who is a CB, I’ll remember his name”. I’m not saying he’ll just drop like Eric Dier did (who looks a little lost now both in midfield and back at CB), but… it’s not as straightforward for me that he’d be the best fit for whichever high price and for any top team.

8 Likes

The way Man United’s team is set up, it seems to me that the player their midfield needs (aside from Pogba actually putting in a shift) is someone who can actively break up the opposition, win a lot of duels, be tidy with the ball and give some protection to their back line.

Matić may have been that to an extent but I think he’s not suitable to their football anymore at his age (he was a decent transfer for them but a class or two below the player he was at Chelsea) and McTominay might be that but Rice is a few levels above him at what he does, especially in terms of technical ability.

That’s why I think they are the most realistic candidates for Rice - CL football, huge wages, a counter-attacking team where he’s mates with a few players. I’ve always thought he’d be a top class centre back but it seems that neither West Ham, nor England want to experiment with that (England’s Achilles heel is midfield at the moment but it looks much stronger than, say, two years ago).

It seems they will go in for Varane first, though, eleven full years after they first tried to sign him if I remember correctly.

Yeah, United make more sense to me than City. Chelsea, I don’t know, mixed. Could be a good double pivot with Kante (maybe too defensive for Tuchel though?), but who knows what they want to build next. Maybe they have other needs for now.

1 Like

The Athletic article does mention that after Sancho Utd have limited funds so Varane isn’t nailed on, so Rice might be just as unattainable, ironically he was the player who would improve them the most out of Sancho, Rice, Varane. Sancho smacks of an ego trip for Woodward tbh, Ole is probably just happy he got a player like a good little boy.

Romano reporting that Ramos is on his way to PSG on a deal until 2023.

Kimpembe to drop to the bench? :slight_smile:

King Ragnar Klavan has returned to Estonia after 16 years.

5 Likes

You think they will use Hakimi in a back 4 or have him play as a wing back? Could easily switch to a back 3 possibly.

Interesting idea, maybe. But until we see it, I count on them keeping the back 4. We’ll see how it pans out with the rest of their dealings this summer.

Leicester completed the signing of Soumare for 17mil. Together with Daka, they sent 40mil on these 2. These might be 2 of the best business in the whole transfer window.

3 Likes

LB from Southampton for free.

Think they will sell a few fringe players, but don’t see any key players leaving this summer.

1 Like

Kevin Bonifazi from SPAL to Bologna for £5.4m.
Juan Musso from Udinese to Atalanta for £18m.
Joel Piroe from PSV to Swansea for £1.8m.
Romain Perraud from Brest to Southampton for £11.7m.

2 Likes

Angel Rodriguez from Getafe to Mallorca on a free.
Jack Harrison from City to Leeds for £11.5m.

1 Like

Kevin Strootman from Marseille to Cagliari on loan.

1 Like

City are quietly raising immense amounts of money from selling their academy players… Iheanacho, Sancho, Adarabioyo, Diaz, Harrison… Their fees probably offset e.g. Sterling’s fee.

1 Like

They’ve made £40m so far I think with Angelino’s sale, Sancho’s percentage and Harrison.

1 Like

Now that was an awesome player up until injuries got the better of him. So good.

3 Likes
1 Like

Junior Firpo to Leeds for €15m, accoring to Mundo Deportivo. Could be an interesting signing.

1 Like