Summer Transfer Window 2021

Ramos has signed for PSG

3 Likes

Lois Diony from Angers to Red Star Belgrade on loan.
Davit Khocholava from Shakhtar to Copenhagen for £2.2m.

There is a piece in TIA that points out that the sell-on clause we negotiated when Ings was sold to Soton would in effect give us a 20% discount over what other clubs would have to pay for Ings. So if Soton’s price is 30 million, would we be willing to pay 24 million for 29 year old?

1 Like

I don’t think so. We were willing to break our transfer policy of not signing anyone over the age of 27 for Thiago but I doubt we’d do it for Ings. It also wouldn’t be the right move for us or him.

2 Likes

If it were down to me then I’d pay it. It wouldn’t be like buying a player from a European club where we wouldn’t be sure if the player would work out. We would know what we were getting and I’m sure we’d get at least three good years for our 24 million, which these days is not a bad return especially for a player who will get you goals.

1 Like

When he’s fit. Poor Danny seems to always be a few games away from taking a knock and being out for an extended period. That isn’t going to improve at 29 unfortunately.

I personally think we could make better use of the £6m.

1 Like

Plus I’m guessing he’s perhaps not too eager to go back to being a rotation guy. Can’t remember exactly why he wanted to leave in the first place, but I think it was because of game time/regular starts.

1 Like

Herve Koffi from Lille to Charleroi for £450k.
Matteo Guendouzi from Arsenal to Marseille on loan.
Enock Mwepu from RB Salzburg to Brighton on a permanent deal.
Junior Firpo from Barca to Leeds confirmed, £13.5m.

Could be an interesting signing, I believe he was one of the players mentioned by the RB Salzburg manager as capable of playing for Liverpool one day.

2 Likes

We’ll see if he’s their Bissouma replacement and we’ll also see what’s up with that Moises Caicedo kid, who was linked with United when they bought him last January.

2 Likes

The problem with Ings is when he left he took a step down because he wanted to play more. Now he’s playing every week (when fit) he wants to play at a better club. But he’s not getting in the starting lineup at any of the traditional top 6, nor Leicester, Leeds, and probably not Everton, Villa, or Wolves either.

His only hope is really West Ham who aren’t that much of a step up on Southampton anyway. Unless he’s willing to be a bit-part player then who is buying him? And if he’s going to be a bit-part player, who would spend £30m on him given his age and injury record?

He’s a good player but he’s a man who’s stuck between two bus stops.

5 Likes

£20.7m is the fee for Mwepu, which makes him just about Brighton’s new transfer record.

3 Likes

That’s pretty dismissive. I think the clubs you mentioned would be glad to have him. Of course his injury record would mean that he probably wouldn’t be the main man but he’d be a good supplement to the likes of DCL or Steptoe. And the injury record would probably mean that Southampton wouldn’t get as much as they’re hoping for.

Achraf Hakimi from Inter to PSG confirmed, £54m + add ons.
Stefan Mitrovic from Strasbourg to Getafe for £900k.
Cenk Ozkacar from Lyon to Leuven on loan.
Juan-Familia Castillo from Chelsea to Birmingham on loan.
Dominik Greif from Slovan Bratislava to Mallorca for £2.2m.

1 Like

It’s not meant to be dismissive but as you say, he’d be a squad option for some of those teams at best.

If he wants to play week in week out then he’s at about the right level of club. If he’s going to be a squad option then £24-£30m (the figures being discussed here) is quite a bit for a bloke who is 29 this month and a sketchy injury record.

Go back to Lazio, Felipe. :joy:

And Hysaj is not a LB, but a RB who can do a job at LB.

Adrian Bernabe from City to Parma on a free.

Jaume Costa from Villarreal to Mallorca on a free.
Mario Balotelli from Monza to Demirspor on a free.

3 Likes

Ah, Mario.

I notice that he’s dropping further and further down, anybody keeping track of why?

1 Like