Summer Transfer Window 2021

This is a terribly shit take.

2 Likes

Are we not competing? We just drew to the CL winners and dominated the match. So what you’re really saying is, you want us to be Man City without the dirty sleazeball owners. So what if the club lost millions of dollars… spend more money!!!

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Redbird share sale was a cash injection to help balance the books. The timing would have been about right

2 Likes

If it helps - both of you are right. It’s valid to have wanted more signings and it’s valid to say they aren’t needed.

5 Likes

The question is who do we sign? An attacker who is happy to be on the bench most weeks. Who would that be?

Unless you entice them with a silly contract it’s not going happen a lot of the time. When we signed Jota and Thiago last season few other clubs bar Chelsea made many moves. Chelsea have made one or two again. For us it seems like cycles so next season will probably be a couple more addressing the needs of what we learnt from this.

Manchester United have Splurged but I can’t remember them buying much last summer and I think their moves are risky if I’m honest. The first two were good but that Ronaldo one to me just screams merchandise sales (it’s a bring back a top name for the big wrestling or boxing promotion, couldn’t care less than he can’t wrestle or box anymore).

Man City brought Grealish but their long term planning seemed to stall once Levy in my view did the decent thing and may have “saved football” far more than Perez thinks he ever will.

Spurs have improved and have been impressive but they were far back, the question is, is this the Liverpool title side or the one the year before or are they the 12 week injured ravaged side.

I don’t think they are eithier, Klopp needed time and had to use the time within the season to get Williams and Phillips right.

He can now call on Kostas if Robbo misses (and I wouldn’t be against seeing if he can replicate it on the other side) 2 months, he can call on Phillips if needed and has Konate as well as Gomez. He made a massive mistake on Jota and probably one that sealed that 12 week period from happening.

He has the crowd to feed off again, Hendo and Fabinho will not have to go back fingers crossed.

That 12 week period was a freak, and anything slightly shorter and we may not have actually been far off Man City. You really couldn’t plan for three CB’s to go down like that, some say you can but we will likely rotate the four over the coming months. If one drops we still have Phillips and that’s how many you’d expect to lose.

Three was silly and then we lost Fabinho and Hendo on top of Jota being injured and Alisson missing games here and there. Trent was also out for a period.

The fact we got third should be a concern for the others and I have no doubt unlike the talking heads on tv the likes of Pep and Thomas as well as Ole will know it’s a show of a strength and something they will have to deal with.

6 Likes

Chelsea spent £222million but City spent £145million, Tottenham £97m, Leeds £95m, Aston Villa £91m.

2 Likes

Yup but who on, ignore Chelsea, they made moves but I’m scratching my head what these other teams got for their cash?

Chelsea got Mendy, Havertz and Werner, one they’ve already replaced with Lukaku which sort of shows you the fallacy of just spending.

Was Man City Feran Torres and another five full backs as I seriously can’t remember who they bought beyond him (good signing though he is).

Spurs spent 97m and yet what did it achieve?

Leeds spent 95m but they were promoted, they had to and again who actually came in for that who you would want here in a shot and start every game.

Villa actually bought well in Watkins and that defender but again is Watkins any different to us signing Jota.

If your point is spending isn’t the be all and end all then you have a point. Otherwise I’m not seeing it, City have spent 60m more than us I believe on marquee players but they’ve only got the same amount of players.

We could also throw Arsenal on to this who I also believe spent more than us and they regressed so hard they aren’t even in Europe.

As for Chelsea they had that transfer ban, but you could even make the point that they’ve gone and loaned a guy today who could play over Havertz, so four signings and they’ve replaced two of them.

1 Like

Anyhow did Coutinho move? No :thinking:

Saul moving to CH helps with our CL group.

2 Likes

They’ve added Griezmann though.

Fuck beans!!! same old transfer bollox every other transfer window,lets totally disregard how the club/Klopp have worked in the past in building a team,buying the right players at the right time for the right price and taking our time to build it naturally within our financial means,rather than financially doping,losing over £100mill in the last year from covid,investing over £100mill in new a stand and training ground,renewing the contracts of the bulk of our first team stars,spending £50mill last summer tweaking our midfield and forward positions,buying a potentially future world class defender for £36mill this year and still having an amazing team,but knowing all this lets still have a pop at the club for being financially savvy because teams around us are going into debt,spending cash they don’t really have (or are cheating FFP to compete) on players that won’t really improve them 10 fold and make them much better than us anyway.

For us to buy anyone right now,they need to be first team starters,better than what we have and also deal with the issue of either that new player or our exsisting 1st teamer sitting on the bench,so finding that player and having the cash to do it is almost impossible or our scouting department probably think its too early to pull the trigger atm,our next big change i feel will be next year,with finances not doing brilliant the reason we are keeping our spending to a minimum this summer,firstly we keep our first 11 under contract,then we invest again.

Call me crazy but i think FSG are looking for a big name signing to maximise our Nike deal,unlike most clubs who get a one off yearly payment,ours is set up not only for merchandise but selling shirts with a big name player on it,will get us an unheard of extra 20% per shirt and get us into the realms of Uniteds,Barca and Madrid levels,signing that player right now is impossible,next year with cash saved in the bank and a possible player sale could change the look of a few positions in our team.

5 Likes

When I wanted to go to UK for the first time, my friends told me hey you must try black pudding. After finding out what that is, I told them hey I don’t think I fancy eating blood stuff. They say why not? Since you are going to UK, just try it or else it’s like you are never there. Don’t matter if you like it or not, since you are already there, try it.

I did. One morning in Edinburgh, I ordered the big English breakfast with the black pudding. I vomited after the first bite.

So the transfer window always felt this way. It’s like just because it’s a transfer window, we should buy someone… Well you know just because we should. It doesn’t matter that Klopp did not think we need anyone particularly. Oh wait, it’s just a PR thing, in secret he is real frustrated with the owners because they are stingy little fucks.

Anyway its over, the real show begins. I know we will all get behind the club now regardless of your transfer stance.

Barca is a joke.

Their arrogance and transfer philosophy has been exposed full bore, culminating in this disastrous transfer window.

They are a neutered tiger.

But they are resetting for a more rational framework in the future.

Stian Gergersen from Molde to Bordeaux for £1.8m.
Cyriel Dessers from Genk to Feyenoord on loan.
Yacine Adli from Milan to Bordeaux on loan.
Simon Banza from Lens to Famalicao on loan.
Dan Ndoye from Nice to Basel on loan.
Daishawn Redan from Hertha to Zwolle on loan.
Matthew Hoppe from Schalke to Mallorca for £2.7m.
Simone Muratore from Atalanta to Tondela on loan.
Odsonne Edouard from Celtic to Palace for £14.6m.
Idrissa Doumbia from Sporting Lisbon to Zulte Waregem on loan.
Hector Bellerin from Arsenal to Betis on loan.
Chiquinho from Benfica to Braga on loan.
Xavier from Panathinaikos to Estoril on loan.
Rui Fonte from Braga to Estoril on loan.
Alejandro Pozo from Sevilla to Almeria on loan.
Hugo Duro from Getafe to Valencia on loan.
Isak Bergmann Johannesson from Norrkoping to Copenhagen for £2.7m.
Patrick Roberts from City to Troyes on loan.
Giannis Masouras from Olympiacos to Sparta Rotterdam on loan.
Valere Germain from Marseille to Montpellier on a free.
Ally Samatta from Fenerbahce to Antwerp on loan.
Takehiro Tomiyasu from Bologna to Arsenal for £16.7m.
Philippe Sandler from City to Troyes on loan.
Salomon Rondon from Dalian Yifang to Everton on a free.
Gabriel Gudmundsson from Groningen to Lille for £5.4m.
Robin Olsen from Roma to Sheffield United on loan.
Gaetan Laborde from Montpellier to Rennes for £13.5m.
Javairo Dilrosun from Hertha to Bordeaux on loan.
Mykola Kukharevych from Troyes to Leuven on loan.
Nuno Mendes from Sporting Lisbon to PSG on loan, £6.3m fee.
Pablo Sarabia from PSG to Sporting Lisbon on loan.
Romario Baro from Porto to Estoril on loan.
Cameron Carter-Vickers from Tottenham to Celtic on loan.
Ricardinho from Gremio to Maritimo on loan.
Domingos Quina from Watford to Fulham on loan.
Nathaniel Chalobah from Watford to Fulham for £3.1m.
Luuk de Jong from Sevilla to Barcelona on loan.
Abdallah Sima from Slavia Prague to Brighton for £7.2m and then loaned out to Stoke.
Antoine Griezmann from Barcelona to Atletico Madrid on loan.

3 Likes

Bookmarked

3 Likes

Holy crap, how the mighty have fallen.

2 Likes

i think the interesting thing for me is that most teams in the league look like they’ve missed out on one key signing they were hoping to make and were left with players they were keen to shift

Man United - gaping hole in defensive midfield. Sure they’d have liked to move on Lingard and Jones
Chelsea - failed pursuit of Kounde. Barkley still kicking around and Bakayoko and Drinkwater only out on loan deals
Man City - no centre forward. Were repeatedly told they were looking to raise £100m from sales but only did a smidge over £30m
Spurs - did reasonably well on the ins but perhaps missing another striker. Can’t seem to shift Ndombele
Leicester - filled some holes but others left open. right wing and centre back look problematic.
Arsenal - spent a lot but perhaps only one or two that go into the first 11 right away and no one you’d want at Liverpool really. Willock aside, got fees for no one who left relying on loans for the likes of Guendouzi, Torriera. Seemed keen to shift on Lacazete to raise funds but didn’t manage that.

Then there’s us.

Us - probably missing an attacking forward type but I’m not sure whether we even tried. got rid of a good few on permanent deals who have floated about for a while but played very little. Think we’d have been happy for Origi and Nat to move on had we had decent offers.

The point of this, no one has had a perfect window. Much like ourselves, fans of other clubs will always feel there was one more gap to fill or a hole left unaddressed. And equally that they’ve been left with some duds they’d rather than moved on.

No doubt some good business done by rivals. Sancho and Varane look to be good deals on paper. Lukaku at Chelsea is a huge deal for them and Saul is a good pick up that late on for a modest loan fee. Grealish at City already looks to be a great fit.

But, outside of Lukaku, Grealish and Sancho, I’m not really seeing that many players brought in by other clubs that I think would make a significant difference here for the fees that have been paid out. Buendia and Ings and Villa maybe but both would be squad options rather than immediate improvements. Daka perhaps but a bit early to tell on that one. So aside from the three most expensive deals in the league, I don’t really see any deal done by an opponent that immediately improves us significantly.

3 Likes

Look I understand what you are getting at but the point is that those three have strengthened each of our top four rivals. If we’d signed one player like that we’d be happy.

1 Like

The point is those players cost £70-£100m each and whilst they’ve strengthened in those areas, there are holes in other areas that they wanted to address but couldn’t. Even the likes of Chelsea and City didn’t have it all their own way this summer and made attempts at balancing the books along the way.

When you look at the window as a whole, we perhaps left ourselves short of one up top but pretty much most of our rivals have left themselves short somewhere too. It’s not uniquely a Liverpool issue.

2 Likes

Yeah but, whatever their shortcomings, the others did sign one key player. We’d be happy if we could have signed one equivalent.

1 Like

Konate fills the biggest hole we had in the squad which was very sorely exposed for most of last season.

4 Likes