Summer Transfer Window 2022

From Ajax to Liverpool to Barca to Atleti.

To Granada and now Marseille.

Luis, never was the brightest spark. :laughing:

1 Like

Arenā€™t Glasgow hot babes just called babes?

Getting Pogba on a free, selling him for 90m in his prime and getting him back later for free again not too shabby in the midfield department either.

1 Like

A third in wages? The Athletic suggested that Bremer would be receiving that after tax - if all of this is true, it means that Ajax and De Ligt absolutely fleeced Juventus (I think that Juventus are selling him for roughly what they paid for him). I wouldnā€™t call him a flop, he was decent there, but nowhere near justifying his price tag - a bit like Keita here, only the club are not selling him for what they paid for him.

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy to treat De Ligt a flop because he hasnā€™t met expectations, but all indications are that despite that Juve still had full faith in him and thought he was ready to step into the gap that Chieliniā€™s exit leaves. Theyā€™re only selling him now because the player himself is not going to sign a new contract with them. their signing of Bremer might work out for them, but it is definitely a case of them pragmatically responding to a situation rather than viewing him as a needed upgrade.

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely, Iā€™m just a bit perplexed and frustrated by these Twitter accounts who cover a certain club or, even worse, a ā€œbig 5ā€ league and are unrelenting when it comes to defending them from criticism and one-sided when it comes to showering every move they make with praise to the point of obliviousness. The only impressive thing about Juventusā€™ story with De Ligt is that the managed to sell him for roughly what they paid for him and invest that money to likely strengthen the side.

That said, I wonder what Juventus would have done had he had e.g. three years remaining on his contract. They did sell Pogba to Man United in a somewhat similar situation but it now seems an exception rather than the rule.

1 Like

Both Upamecano and Ligt have to prove themselves more at a top club. They will hope to get a long term CB duo out of them. Thereā€™s time for them to achieve that, theyā€™re 23 years of age. Bayern already paid a huge fee (sometimes forgotten) for Hernandez, who himself didnā€™t impress so far. When you look at it now realistically, heā€™s hardly a starting XI player.

1 Like

Aaron Mooy from Shanghai Port to Celtic on a free.
Moritz Jenz from Lorient to Celtic on loan.
Jordan Torunarigha from Hertha to Gent for Ā£4m.
Jamie Shackleton from Leeds to Millwall on loan.
Kaiky from Santos to Almeria for Ā£6.3m.
Simon Banza from Lens to Braga for Ā£4.5m.
Mario Soriano from Atletico to Deportivo on a free.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks Zivchenko was meh.

1 Like

I think he was useful for City in the sense that FB is not an easy role to play for Pep these days and he had that ability, like Tsimi, to play near his full potential after weeks without a gameā€¦perfect for a back you want 20 games a season out of. I dont see he has quite the same value to Arsenal as an everyday player, especially not in a creative midfield role, they one they seem to have earmarked him for.

1 Like

I just wasnā€™t that impressed when I saw him. Then again I didnā€™t watch City much.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen too many people impressed by what he did at Man City. Have seen a few Arsenal fans convincing themselves he was held back by Pep because apparently he had a great game for Ukraine against Scotland playing in a central midfield roleā€¦ Personally I apply the same logic to alevery international game - it doesnā€™t mean anything, international football is crap, the world cup final is lower quality than the average PL game. Betting on a player becoming great for a Premier League team, having only previously been average, because of a few appearances against Scotland is a nonsense.

2 Likes

Looked ok at city surrounded by the worldā€™s most expensive players. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Okā€¦ maybe itā€™s that FA cup semi final that sticks in my mind, they did produce some of the poorer defensive displays when he came in.

1 Like

Always looked bang average to me but Arteta would have worked with him at City tho right? He must have liked what heā€™s seen and have something in mind for him.

I think its interesting Arteta has bought in two players heā€™s worked with before, and considering a lot of the baggage he inherited is know gone it feels like he might be able to go up a gear with what heā€™s trying to achieve at Arsenal. They should be battling with Tottenham and Chelsea for the CL spots, good luck to them I say.

1 Like

Arteta is Steve Bruce to Pepā€™s Fergie

A decent utility player, nothing more.

Another 1 who plays better for country than club.

1 Like

I like Zinchenko, good player. A bit overpriced at that fee but a far better player than Tavares and versatile too.

1 Like

Forest in pole position to sign Jesse Lingard now.