Summer Transfer Window 2022

I like Tark. I wanted to see him go anywhere but Everton. :man_facepalming:

Not that I think he will ‘transform’ their back line but he will absolutely improve it….just that I’ll have to intensely root against him.

Not directly related to this window, but more the effectiveness of high priced signings in general.

Sure, you can probably quibble with the ratings (not sure what else Alisson and Virgil have to do to get 5s), and I think the take home message is debatable - is the issue with big money signings or the clubs who make them (does having the money to repeatedly make this list make you lazy?), but I think it tells an interesting story.

2 Likes

I think the one lesson I’d take from that is that Manchester United are a jinx.

1 Like

Interesting to read his follow up stuff on Twitter, he said because Alisson and VVD were that expensive it would be hard for them to achieve a 5.

Which just sounds silly…

1 Like

Yeah, especially as Buffon is a 5…a fee so expensive for the time that even a generation later it is still right at the top of the rankings. I think the main issue is one of time and how complete the story is. Neuer is the only 5 in the list still at the club who bought him, all the others are either retired or moved to another club drawing a line under that transfer. I guess the argument is these 2, like De Bruyne, still have some of their story at their current club left to write. I’ll be honest though, even if none of them ever play a club game again, they’re all sold 5/5 signings even considering the fees.

1 Like

Whilst it does, his explanation on ratings right at the start was clear his scoring his highly subjective, but more importantly, that scores wise;

3/5 - kinda got what we paid for
5/5 - absolutely, far surpassed expectations

In that sense, the 4/5 makes sense doesnt it? We knew with Ali and Virgil that we were getting top drawer; but i dont think theyve surpassed expectations…in so much as we were signing world class players, have been better than a 3, but not a 5…4 will do.

Ofcourse, its very subjective.

1 Like

In my opinion, neither of them had reached the levels they’re currently at before they moved to Liverpool. Alisson was really good, I’ve often discussed him with one of my mates who lives Serie A since childhood (a Milan supporter) and he said that Alisson was probably the best goalkeeper in Serie A since Buffon’s best days (that was happening for a few months before he was first linked with us). Van Dijk was undeniably good at Southampton but his form was verging on ridiculous during 2019, 2020 and 2022, there was a “days since Van Dijk was dribbled past” counter set up at one point!

Looking at that list, same goes for De Bruyne, in my opinion, he’s 5/5 transfer for Man City all day long. Rodri is 4/5 for me and only because of his average first season - in three years, he’ll be a clear 5/5. Mbappe is 5/5 as well, he’s added a whole new level of consistency to his game and matched his price tag with big game performances in Champions League.

1 Like

It might have been better to rank it as excelled, met expectations or flopped

1 Like

Gabrielle Marcotti is a moron. I remember him having some horrendously bad opinions of The Times podcast many years ago and have completely shut him out ever since.

I’m 99% sure he neither watches nor likes football.

1 Like

No it doesn’t make any sense. Given that it’s a list of literally the most expensive players of all time then every single one of them was expected to be brilliant. By that logic absolutely none of them should have earned over a 3.

2 Likes

I was following the Espn feed not Marcotti, I was unaware it was even him.

Signing Alisson was a bit of a coup, as he was Real’s priority before they got Courtois (for a good fee as he was in the final year of his deal). But… he’s also someone who had just a season and a half at Roma talking about European football. Virgil also, he was at bloody Groningen, Celtic and Southampton, not even a Netherlands regular in the squad yet. We don’t really sign top players from top clubs (and it’s not like we have to, other top clubs don’t do it as often either), but our market is much more often the next big thing.

But back to topic, I’ve talked with this with my mates lately. Have a look at 50 of the current most expensive players ever and probably a good half of them turned out to be either flops or not so great. Thing is also, transfers like that do clubs that can do it and are not dependant on every one of them being a success. They can afford to overpay here and there. Unless shit really hits the fan like at Barca.

1 Like

After completing the Darwin and Calvin deals, the rest of the window will be all about trimming the squad.

The Neco deal could be tricky since his potential suitors know that we are in for Calvin and might try to low-ball us.

Not too worried about this. Ramsey won’t be costing much, and our club have shown they are willing to keep a player rather than simply sell at a much reduced price.

1 Like

I’d imagine there’ll be a lot of interest in Neco. He’s clearly a very talented young player who’s only problem is having one of the greatest in the world ahead of him. He’d be an asset to any number of clubs.

3 Likes

But it’s subjective isn’t it, therefore it doesn’t need to make sense.

The very fact Pickford is getting a 4/5 sums it up

I hate silly season.

Oh I forgot that one. That is garbage. I’m really not sure if anyone watches him outside of England.

Bissouma seems to be on his way to Spurs.

Interesting that neither the Guardian or the BBC stories about this transfer mention that he is still accused of sexual assault. It’s relevant no?

1 Like