TAN Greatest: Invention. Currently experiencing technical issues

Bibi Khanyum Mosque, Samarkand (top), Djinguerebre Mosque, Timbuktu (middle), and Alhambra Palace, Granada.

None of the photos do any justice to these magnificent buildings.

9 Likes

Can I add this one? Why? Because it’s mine, I designed it, I got the architect binned and took his scribbles that were nothing more than curvy lines on a napkin and turned them into reality. The columns are my idea, zero architect input.
The geometry was a b****! Stretched my plastic ruler to it’s limit!

11 Likes

Masada
Masada

2 Likes

I’m blackballing the Alhambra Palace, place is a dump (compared to the hype)

Of course if we want style, taste and authenticity, look no further:

Note the ketchup and mustard bottles for authenticity

Obviously Cologne Cathedral :wink: I didn’t build or design it though, in case you were wondering.

Was very impressed by the Blue Mosque. Never been to the Taj Mahal, it sure looks pretty in pictures though.

4 Likes

Carcassone, Masada, bof! Totnes!

1 Like

Best religious edifice I’ve ever visited well worth the climb.

:rofl:
That’s not even as impressive as my school dining hall
unnamed

Hearst Castle is the kind of place where you wash your eyes in bleach on the way out.

2 Likes

Hagia Sofia

3 Likes

International Space Station - Wikipedia.

5 Likes

I just sunk a 5m x 15cm x 15cm cedar post on my back fenceline for my garden lights and a clothesline. 150kg of cement in the base to hold it steady. it’s a beauty!

for the OP of man-made structures though, there’s so many massively ornate pieces of architecture in the world, how do you select just one as the “greatest”. so many honorable mentions.

1 Like

Well I have never been to those places. But I was enchanted by the Moorish architectures ever since I saw a documentary, some 30 years ago.

Chichen Itza

Machu Picchu

Was booked to goto the latter recently. Then this virus hit…….

wait a minute…

you went to Hogwarts?

2 Likes

In a way.

The assembly hall, where we also did exams
unnamed (1)
The Chapel

The theatre was pretty cool too
unnamed

1 Like

The correct answer is above, but i’m going to throw in these two because they are two of my favourites and they are timeless and iconic.

esbcameo

Empire State Building and Brooklyn Bridge

3 Likes

:grin:

Can I suggest Anfield?

3 Likes