TAN Retirement Thread

Had a very good career. Atleast he won a trophy with Rangers.

2 Likes

history england GIF

6 Likes

Good player, good career, I liked him.

Need to be careful not to overrate him. Wasn’t a top player, wasn’t bad, wasn’t average either.

But it’s more his skills and persona, how you felt you got 100% from him whenever he played. Not a complete striker, probably needed a partner or numbers up top, but the things he was good at, you felt secure that he’d produce consistently and that’s all you can ask for from a player.

Smart, confident, sharp, agile, a bit of pace, good finisher, good character, you felt like he enjoyed the game like a kid from the streets.

2 Likes

He is a player who came to pose an interesting dilemma. The game he came up playing no longer really existed at the top level by the time he was a first team player. By that point playing with two strikers was rare, and so what was required out of the now lone striker was very different and we started seeing a different type of player being picked by most of the top sides than the more traditional goal scorers of the 90s. Yet he scored goals. It meant he could immediately improve a team who needed goals, but his presence on that team put a ceiling on how high that team could go. He seemed to max out at the upper midtable level for a team with slim hopes of qualifying for the CL, but it was their reliance on his goals that limited their ability to make that final step. Yet his goals always made you feel like maybe he could make that step up. And maybe in exactly the right circumstances he could have had a run at a properly top team, but it didnt happen.

3 Likes

A decent human by all accounts and a good footballer. He can walk away from the game with his head held high. I hope the rest of his life is happy and rewarding :slight_smile::+1:

2 Likes

Interesting. I dont disagree with it, but it’s interesting and encouraging he could end his career with this sentiment being held for him when during his early years he was a bit of a pariah (mostly over the way he handled his West Ham exit).

2 Likes

There was a bit of a shift in the public perception after he suffered a few personal losses. His brother was killed, and his father passed shortly after. He did a lot of charity in working class areas, too.

20170329-The18-Photo-Defoe-Bites-Mascherano

I like Defoe, despite his feasting on my second favourite LFC player of all time (considering my favourite LFC player of all time, I don’t have much room to complain).

Enjoy it, Jermain. :beers:

4 Likes

No, I agree. I personally thought the reaction to his transfer request was insane, and the clubs confrontational stance at forcing him to stay and go down to the championship with them when he was clearly a premier league quality already was shitty.

1 Like

So I assumed he had retired years ago. Well done to him for keeping it going.

1 Like

Decent player, did well to have such a long career. Not sure this warranted it’s own thread, but hey ho.

1 Like

Yeah Scottish football still hasn’t got one :rofl:

Think we can use this thread with a title change.

Maybe it should include the posters that disappear from here lfti :wink:

1 Like

When I read that this morn, I thought @The-AllMightyReds was insisting on a Matuidi retirement thread. This makes more sense.

Would be pretty short wouldn’t it? Would’ve started and ended with German Red announcing the news.

We’ve got the RIP thread for that. :grimacing:

1 Like

I think we should change this thread into one about us retiring and our experiences of retirement.
I’m a bit young to retire, but we have come down to Australia for six months and the work I had lined up for Spring has fallen through, so I am, effectively, retired.
It’s a strange feeling and I don’t know if I’m ready for it, but actively getting back into hassling for work doesn’t really appeal either.
I do realise how incredibly lucky I am to be able to choose my path at this stage of my life.

3 Likes

Congratulations! I guess the main question is, will you be able to keep yourself busy? I’ve always been told that you should have a plan when you retire otherwise the disconnect between work and no work can be too jarring - weirdly…

p.s. I’ll be 48 towards the end of the year and I hope to stop in 10 or so years time… It’s not that I’ll be rolling in it by then but I don’t want to end up like so many of my relatives that worked into their mid to late 60s and when retirement came (as opposed to taking it) they were spent - physically and mentally.

I am retired a couple of years, having worked over thirty years in healthcare. Few things you need to be sure of.

Finances: Be confident that your pension covers what you want to do with your life. If you have a lump sum maybe invest a section of it. Maybe take some financial advice, look at outgoings on a monthly basis and see if you can manage without too much compromise.

Time: You need to find stuff to enjoy.
Home projects are all fine, but don’t confine yourself to this or you will get bored. The whole “charity work” thing is overplayed. I always did a bit of charity stuff so I just continued. I never liked golf, so that isn’t a factor.
I try to balance time into selfish time and time fir others. Time of your life to be a bit selfish if you can.

People: The whole meet for coffee with former workmates fades out. Don’t be dissapointed, thats the nature of things. They are busy, you should be as well. If you have mates who walk, or cycle together then team up. Have purpose.

This is a great time, never be bored.

5 Likes

Even assuming that this thread has been repurposed , why is it still in the football forum ?