TAN Retirement Thread

Hello neighbour. :slight_smile:

(Donā€™t sweat the language mate , learn enough to get by , and in really tricky situation you can always resort to the translation apps on your phone. :wink:

not to put my nose in too far the postā€¦butā€¦ how did it all go?

also, not that itll help the budget, but volunteer work is meant to be extremely rewarding

im a few decades behind you and thankfully really enjoy work, i dont think ill ever truely ā€˜retireā€™ in the sense that i have nothing to doā€¦

1 Like

Give it time.

The language issue is compounded by the fact that all my reports are in English and the global language for the sector is Englishā€¦ Kids are picking it up and my wife already had a pretty good grasp of itā€¦

1 Like

Didnā€™t know this thread existed until now.
I did something impulsive in October, quit my job with nothing to replace it.
Initially for family reasons, but the longer Iā€™m not working, the less inclined I am to want to start again.
I know Iā€™ll have to, but fuck me Iā€™m enjoying all this time off.

3 Likes

Got to 55ā€¦there were more n more redundancies on the horizonā€¦Local Government had a rule to allow people to leave at 55 and take your pensionā€¦I didā€¦mester wilkored08 took his a month laterā€¦the mortgage had been paid offā€¦we manageā€¦working for the local council for 36 yearsā€¦we had a bit of savingsā€¦canā€™t wait now till Iā€™m 66ā€¦Government pension, bus passā€¦but would do it againā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™ve currently got my Army pension, no mortgage, no debt, and am eligable for my bus pass, have been for a year.
Never got round to applying, maybe I should

My wife was so lucky. She was head of an Infants school. Took retirement at 59 on final salary pension (one of the last to qualify) and then qualified for state pension at 60 by just 2 weeks. So one of the last againā€¦

I have really enjoyed my first 3 months of full retirement. Hill walks and time in France with my grandchildrenā€¦ so far so good.

5 Likes

Think u can have a rail pass as wellā€¦not too sureā€¦but these are the things Iā€™m now looking intoā€¦

I was one of the unlucky onesā€¦have to wait till Iā€™m 66ā€¦

I have had free travel on Merseyrail and merseyside buses since 60 and then at 65 I got free travel on all local buses in England. I can get to Ormskirk and Chester by rail but nowhere by rail outside Merseyrail areaā€¦ unless I am missing something.

Working and saving hard for a good number of years to be able to slow down at 55.Everything going great till recently when a longterm illness finally forced me to finish a bit earlier than Iā€™d wanted.The wife is being made redundant shortly so we may decide to both take it easy for a bit and see how that fits.

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦you have to weigh up the pros n consā€¦we managedā€¦but weā€™re not extravagant with moniesā€¦thatā€™s how we got our bolthole in North Yorkshireā€¦but everyone is differentā€¦so take your time deciding.

2 Likes

My plan was to work until 60 in August but as things panned out it was taken out of my handsā€¦the company I worked for went into terminal decline last year due to gross mismanagement and resulted in a slow, painful death. We were all made redundant between Christmas and New Year.
Iā€™ve not worked since and donā€™t intend to. My wife and I both receive company pensions we took at 55 and we are fortunate in having good savings. The combined pensions are nowhere near enough to live on so we are going to have to hammer our savings until state pension age which is 7 years away for me and 9 for the Mrs. I also got a redundancy package that equates to about 7 months wages so we should be ok, we have no debt and donā€™t lead a lavish lifestyle.
The thing Iā€™ve noticed most, and has really surprised me, is Iā€™m full of aches and pains and fall asleep constantly despite getting far more sleep now than when I was working. Tbf Iā€™ve sat around the house now for over 3 months and really need to get the old legs going again, lack of activity is taking itā€™s toll.
The weather has been shite which doesnā€™t help but once it starts getting warmer I intend to get out and about more, start walking again and be far more active in general. The one thing I know for sure is work is not the answer, I havenā€™t missed it one fucking jot and the thought of having to crawl out of bed again at 5.30 in the morning to work a 12 hour shift doing a job that was killing me mentally and physically is horrendous.
If as you say you really enjoy work then thatā€™s half the battle, some people are lucky to have jobs they enjoy doing so good luck to them. The flip-side is working 'til 67 while being mentally and physically exhausted and then being too fucked to enjoy whatever time you have left.

2 Likes

The tiredness lasts for a few months.
I remember falling asleep in a shopping centre after retiring, and not understanding why.
Its a mental and physical withdrawal from work, and it needs to happen.

2 Likes

Never claimed benefits of any description, bar one 2 month period post Army.
Just did a quick Google search on what I might be entitled to, being that I havenā€™t worked since October.
Fuck me, what a minefield.

My brother in law has never had a job in the 34 years Iā€™ve known him, and they were literally queuing up at the door to give him benefits.

It makes me feel sick to the stomach thinking about the amount of contributions Iā€™ve made in that time, and even a Google search makes you feel like a fucking scrounger.

1 Like

Donā€™t set me offā€¦you want to live next door to my neighboursā€¦we always know when they are having a Winter Payment or some kind of Social extra paymentā€¦new tvā€™s, new fridges, and absolute tat in the back gardenā€¦

This thread could be so useful as the run up to retirement is a proper minefield

Iā€™m of an age where it certainly is part of my thinking now for the future. Early retirement would be nice but the mortgage is an issue.

Iā€™ve worked straight out of uni so a pension pot is there and Iā€™ve actively maxed out my contributions at a level where my employer contributions are also at their peak. Iā€™m also thinking of a private pension for tax purposes and to increase that pot a teeny bit more.

I think in the next 2-3 years Iā€™ll probably need to have a look if early retirement is feasible.

My life manager might not give me permission however if it means Iā€™m home during the day.

This is the hardest part.
After more than 25 years of being apart 6 months a year, being at home all the time is fucking difficult, for both of us

2 Likes

My wife is still working, so I am building my activity to ensure we have seperate time as well as shared time when she retires.

Its easy to fall into a routine that ends up annoying both of you though. And its a recipe for unhappiness.

Find something!

1 Like