The Boxing and MMA thread

You and Nelson scored it 117-111 or 118-110?!

It’s been clear to me for a while now that Joshua’s ceiling is pretty much it. He has earned himself a comfortable future and for his family and his mission is accomplished. I think you could also feel that with the way he talks.

He’s a real success story looking at where he’s come from. He’s not the best of his era, but one of. And with his CV and background, he can still be very proud of that.

For a few years now, I’ve found him a bit confused. Good loser, okay, shows respect, but maybe a bit too nice? Trying to grab some points there to stay in positive memory? I think so.

He can change coaches, make slight improvements and with the rest of the competition, he might still pull a little comeback to win a belt or two. But by large, I think Josh will remain this: a kid who was lost at one point, who changed his life through boxing and was a good athlete who accepted challenges. Good, pretty good boxer. But at one point the lack of a better amateur career showed, there was not enough space anymore to continue winning while also learning. Even some of his recent wins weren’t great.

It’s not like he’s a million miles off, but I don’t think he beats Fury and I don’t think Usyk beats Fury either. Soon, there are other candidates slowly knocking on the door.

2 Likes

Yes

Respect to Usyk for once again outboxing Joshua but if he really fights Fury next I am fully expecting Fury to beat him.

Usyk did not have enough power to k.o. Joshua and surely he does not have enough to k.o. Fury.

Yesterday was a great fight but Fury vs. Usyk won’t be.

Fury is going to use his height and weight to wear down Usyk and then might knock down what’s left of him in the later rounds.

Fury is a beast. A brilliant boxer with a ridiculous chin, excellent reach, and uncomfortable style. He’s the best heavyweight for probably 20 years.

2 Likes

Fury has been hurt and dropped by lesser punchers than Usyk.

It’s a great fight and only a fool would write Usyk off.

1 Like

How does Usyk fair against fellow southpaws? Has he faced many? (I know he’s undefeated)

But Fury would be the biggest guy he’s ever faced by a distance. And Fury can box.

1 Like

I saw an early clip of Fury a few days ago. He looked awful. No shape or style to him and kind of flailing wildly.

Clearly a different animal now I’ll give you that.

Trying to think back over the last 20 years as likely challengers to him.

Usyk would be the most skillful guy that Fury has ever boxed.

I’d have Fury as favourite for sure but it’s hard to believe Usyk will just be outclassed all fight. Steve Cunningham is Uysk’s size and nearly ko’d Fury, Otto Wallin caused Fury all sorts of damage not too long ago.

Usyk is a beast of a fighter, skillful as they come with an iron will. It’ll be a great fight, better than Fury vs Joshua.

1 Like

Thought Fury had inicated he had retired for good.

Wilder? He’s the biggest puncher in the game and Fury still got back up and was robbed in that fight. The Gypsy King been boxing since he could walk. Toughest chin and awkward, unbeatable style. Can’t see Usyk laying a glove on him tbh, and he’s the best of the rest

1 Like

Announced his retirement last week for the 3rd time. :grin:

So they need to offer more money to get him to fight. Simple but effective

I believe there is a deadline for next Friday where Fury has to announce his next step.

But he posted a video after the fight yesterday where he said that he would fight Usyk if they pay him big money.

I’ve already named them.

I saw a FB post this morning that was Fury shouting at the screen after last night’s fight saying how crap they both were and to basically get the cheque book out.

No idea if it is legit or not.

1 Like

Anyway, forget Joshua. This was the real show last night.

Rocky Edwards ending Usman’s 20 fight win streak by putting him to sleep.

2 Likes

Just finished watching the UFC fights from last night.

Edwards was done, Usman got complacant, good night. Big result. There will be a trilogy fight no doubt.

Rockhold was demolished by Silva too, got weird rubbing his blood all over Silvas face at the end.

1 Like