The Boxing and MMA thread

I’m sure this guys been European champ before, when will he actually step up to world level and fight someone decent?

You’re right he was before.

Think Tyson Fury verbally agreed to fight him in 2020 but then changed his mind.

Kabayel is probably the best heavyweight in Germany right now but pretty sure he’ll get knocked out by any bigger name in the division.

Agit is a decent guy and like me he is of kurdish descent so I would love to see him get that big pay day.

Cant think of any other German boxers active nevermind heavyweights, Braehmer and Sturm both long retired and Abraham pretty close to it.

His management team really ought to be pressurising whoever he’s promoted by into getting a world ranked name, maybe someone like Hrgovic or Hunter would suit his style as they’re more boxers than hard hitters.

Last thing he wants to be doing is staying over in Germany and spending the next 2-3’years defending his European title against nobodies. He’s in his prime now so even if he does get beat by 1 of those guys at least you can come out and say you’ve tested yourself at world level.

1 Like

Looks like Usyk has accepted the 70-30 split proposed by Fury.

Lets wait until Frank Warren announces the fight for that end of April date. A verbal agreement between the fighters doesn’t count for shit…wouldnt surprise me if Fury had already changed his mind wanting a 95/5 split…agreed to fight Haye back in the day, never happened. Agreed to fight AJ about 62 times, never happened. Said he was done with boxing after Whyte….course you were.

Antony Joshua just about won every round against Jermain Franklin. He needed to win this fight.
Well done AJ. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes I scored it as the judges did (118-112) but it was an awful performance…stood off for far too long and never really put the pressure on, the guy is shot to pieces and again conducted himself poorly after the bell.

Get the rematch with Whyte or one last fight with Joyce and call it a day.

Don’t think he won every round. But fuck me what a boring fight. It’s genuinely embarrassing how far away the heavyweight bodybuilder is from being a contender these days.

like most AJ fights it bored me.

it looks like the fire has gone from his eyes.

Clear win by decision, but performance wise, even if it was hard or almost impossible to expect something completely different, it was underwhelming.

Especially if he wants to go straight into some of the best like Fury, Joyce next. I just don’t see how he beats Fury or even Joyce, where he’s at currently. IF he hurts or beats Fury, it will be probably more because Fury did something wrong with himself rather than Joshua.

It’s easy to say just go for it more, even if there were moments when he could have, but Franklin was also durable and fast. Winning was perhaps the most important thing. Now he’s still in with a chance, with a defeat he possibly wouldn’t get that anymore. In a way, it was a bit reminiscent of the Ruiz II fight.

His uppercut was good, when on the inside in the final few rounds, that’s one of his better weapons. But then he has certain struggles both on the outside and inside. Get the outside sorted first, I say. I do sense that he’s lost a bit of risk factor to get hurt. Maybe it’s simply different for him now, compared to when he was making steps towards those belts.

Maybe he’s just not motivated enough to take a few lesser fights to seek further time and improvement working under James. But just have a few more fights left, fight the very best, take the most money he can, give his all and whatever happens, happens. Find glory in the fact that he was generally likeable, active, fought a lot of fighters of his era, won a lot, came short against some who are simply better and that’s it.

His life/career is already a sucessful story for a while now. Had the embarrassing moment after Usyk II, but that probably also relieved some pressure off him. He doesn’t have to “act” or hide anymore behind all that PR machine. Just train, fight, still be open for media and fans and see how close he can get to regaining his belts.

He’s had 3 different coaches in his last 3 fights and problems with stagnation (and fighting better opponents, people learning how to deal with him better with time), started even before that. You see that he’s still a bit confused with all what happened in last years. So it’s clear for a while that Joshua was/winning by learning on the job and there isn’t much time left, and the remaining of his opponents to win those belts again are simply better. 2-3 of them.

1 Like

Posted this in other sports. WWE merges with UFC. Fuck UFC! No one from UFC can take down Undertaker!

It’s been bought by the same parent company that bought UFC a few years ago and then rolled into the same organization. It’s an understandable fit for Endeavor, so probably the most interesting thing about is the guy who runs the company is Ari Emanuel, the guy who Ari Gold from Entourage was based on.

Massive upset by Zhang tonight, Joyce was a 1/10 favorite and he got taken to school…blocked every straight left Zhang threw with his face, fair play.

Absolute state of heavyweight boxing at the moment. Nobody is even close to being a threat to Fury. Joyce’s eye looked like Homer Simpson’s mouth when the referee stopped it.

The rematch is on, same venue. June 17th.

Of course on bloody box office.

Liam for the KO in similiar fashion :facepunch:

Its not just heavyweight, boxing as a sport is dying. The moneymen have seen to that - too many cushy fights, avoiding fights with manditory challengers for years on end to protect W-L records and of course the absolute farces that have come from the likes of KSI and Jake Paul earning $100m to slowly trudge around a ring pretending to be boxers while retired professionals take dives for them.

Will it even exist in 50 years?

5 Likes

First fight didn’t really merit a rematch, did it?

But maybe it’s more due to a lack of options…

Not really no but as Eubank opted to activate the rematch clause Kalle slipped in (at the last minute as he was waiting to see if the Benn fight could be remade), it becomes an obligation but hey I don’t mind seeing Liam sweeping with the floor with Chris again. I watched the press conference yesterday & some of the stuff he was coming out with was borderline delusional.

Honestly people sometimes…this level of callous cruelty should be met with exemplary punishment. Each one of the assailants should have their dominant arm dismembered. Ship them off to Saudi, they’ll get it done.