The Boxing and MMA thread

lomachenko didn’t get started til halfway thru the 7th but going into the 12th it could go either way

thought lopez took the 12th and with it the fight, personally

1 Like

lopez UD, well deserved IMO

1 Like

Nurmagomedov vs. Gaethje,I’m hoping Justin brings what he brought against Ferguson and this shall be a closely matched fight,Gaethje is probably the most improved fighter since he lost to Poirier imo,i could be wrong and end up looking fucking stupid,Khabib is Khabib but…

2 Likes

People spent most my adulthood complaining about the lack of accessibility of boxing, but since the PBC started bringing it back to cable/network Ive found it harder to watch. Yes, it cost $25 a month for Showtime and Hbo, but I knew almost all the good boxing I wanted to watch would be on it. In the first few years of PBC you never knew when or where a fight would be on and I eventually just fell out the habit of watching.

I made a point of watching this one, and was interested because as a result of the above I dont know much about Lopez, but fell asleep before it came on. :rofl:

1 Like

i had no idea until the night before, and it’s not as if i’ve been busy

it was an impressive display of boxing skill by both fighters but it wasn’t all that entertaining

lomachenko isn’t quite the same fighter at 135 i don’t think, lopez was known to be a bigger puncher but was he was very much the bigger guy in there

He’s also sneaky old. It’s the downside of coming to the pros so late. I think he’s maybe 33 now. So, still not that big a deal, and you imagine a guy who spent that many years in the amateurs doesn’t have the same mileage as a normal 33 year old, but little guys don’t have the same longevity into the 30s that the big guys have.

1 Like

Pissed off that Khabib v Gatheje is on PPV. Two key sporting events I wanted to watch on Sat, both PPV. £30 - yeah fuck that. Thankfully my father in law is getting the footy, so that’s that sorted, but I’ll just have to watch highlights of UFC.

I really like Khabib and Gatheje, so not sure who I want to win - I guess an all out war would be nice, 5 rounds, knockdowns etc.

1 Like

Our game is 8pm UK time (though I live in the CET zone!)… when is the predicted start for Khabib v Gaethje? Hopefully it’s around 10pm UK time?

Expected around 10pm (UK time) for the fight start, but that can easily be out by an hour or more either side. I prefer to watch the full main cards, so even if it were on BT Sports under my usual sub, I would have watched it after the footy from the start.

Might need to see if I can find a stream.

2 Likes

all those amateur rounds kinda make him old beyond his years in this era, with established top guys fighting ~ 4x every 3 years

elsewhere on the card edgar berlanga registered his 15th first round KO in 15 pro fights, 23 year old nuyorican super middleweight

29-0 incoming, by UD.

Khabib won in the second round with a triangle choke.

1 Like

Useless stupid cunt,i should’ve said nothing.

1 Like

At least he retired.

1 Like

Gaethje landed some good shots though, clipped him a few times and kicked the shit out of his legs. Probably the most success we’ve seen someone have against Khabib.

Khabib just pressured the fuck out of him and Gaethje was knackered after about 3 minutes. The triangle was beautiful. I had Khabib winning in the 4th by sub after tiring Gaethje out but he’s so good it didn’t even take him that long.

Shame we’ll never see the Ferguson fight but I don’t think it would have gone any other way than a Khabib win. Think the only fighters who’d stand a chance of beating him are the likes of GSP, Covington and Usman (though he wouldn’t fight Usman) if Khabib moved up a weight class.

2 Likes

Great win for Whittaker beating a very dangerous fighter,i think he proved he isn’t finished yet.

1 Like

Cannonier’s performance (large part of it) was disappointing, considering what I was reading/hearing about him and all the expectation. I like Whittaker.

I’m not 100% sure this was Khabib’s last fight, although he’s one of those who might actually stick to his word and not play this mind game or something. But I’m still not sure. Give him some time, he’s still only 32, something might attract him again.

His pressure, variety and consistency was high level, managed to always have him on the back foot, probably knew he’d take a little bit of damage, but motivation was high. Gaethje has courage, but is too often too wild. He says he likes carnage, but yeah, that also means he can get hit quite a lot. You often sense how Khabib’s opponents are a bit shocked when they’re in there. More than they could expect or prepare.

Shame remains that we never saw a good and in form Conor against Khabib. Two years out, that boxing adventure, losing focus for a while and a too defensive minded approach paid the price. It would maybe be the same outcome, but I feel we didn’t get someone to properly hurt Khabib. There was not enough damage to maybe get him at least close to a defeat.

I would’ve loved to see that GSP fight, I have a lot of respect for that guy in and outside the cage. Love his analysis. We’ll see.

1 Like

He’s too big and strong for that division and you can see it shits people up when they feel how strong he is,he almost looks like a bully.

1 Like