The Corona Pandemic

In my local Asda, I’d estimate it’s 80% still wearing masks. Even younger people, which is a surprise.

1 Like

Was off Monday and yesterday, so today is the first time I’ve used public transport since the lifting of lockdown.

Most people on the buses this morning had masks, although I noticed neithe driver had masks - it begs the question, how long will the public be willing to keep wearing masks on buses if the drivers don’t?

In Sainsburys I would say 80-90% had masks on with those not wearing a mask being a mix of ages. In Pret all customers had masks on, although a couple of staff didn’t.

It also begs the question, how can TFL and stores enforce customers wearing masks if their staff don’t wear them?

Those employees may be medically exempt anyway but you’d like to think that they could be utilised in roles where there was minimal interaction with the public and colleagues in those cases.

It depends on the store as to whether they are enforcing a mandatory mask policy or whether, like Tesco, they are simply encouraging people to mask up.

1 Like

Conclusions to the Opinion piece:

“COVID can kill in a matter of days or weeks, giving families little time to prepare children for bereavement. Now is the time to rapidly respond to the hidden pandemic of orphanhood and caregiver death. Now is the time to urgently provide these children with the support they need to avoid institutionalization.”

It is also a message to those people on the fence on vaccination against Covid-19, think about the impact and changes brought on to their children’s lives.

An associate in my previous company, from Myanmar, is now stuck in Singapore because if she goes back to Myanmar, she will not be able to work remotely for her job in Singapore and she will not be allowed back to Singapore. And the worse is that her father passed away from Covid last week and her mother is now on ventilator due to Covid too. In fact a number of her relatives are also infected with Covid. You can imagine the anguish both for herself and her family and for people in countries like this. Even for countries who are better off, we are still struggling in many ways, you can imagine for a country who is deep in political turmoil, with public services on strike…life is really worth nothing for some people in this world. Again brought some perspective to my own “suffering”. I might have lost out economically (lost my job) and still jobless for 8 months now, but at least I get to fight another day.

3 Likes

I’d actually question how TfL can say that they are looking after the welfare of their staff by not having them as mandatory PPE. Quoting government guidance which is about as clear as mud does not mitigate them from their H&S obligations as an employer.

1 Like

That is a fair point, but up until now, most people I’ve seen with a medical exeption have a notice identifying them as being medically exempt from wearing a mask, so you would think they would have been wearing one of them. Especially after TFL came out last week saying masks would remain compolsary on the tube, buses and overground

1 Like

Maybe Im being dick, but is there a single legit medical exemption for a masking mandate that justifies putting the individual in an environment where they’re going to have lots of exposure to people.

None that I can think of but then some employers are dicks and some employees feel they’re not in a position to challenge.

I can’t think of any, but am also still trying to work out how someone can be medically exempt from wearing a mask - in my mind surely that would make you clinically vunerable, but still be a key worker so needing to turn up to work rather than fnding a role allowing you to sheild and work from home

1 Like

this week’s numbers. our government has finally figured their shit out.
Unfortunately, this co-incides with our borders being reopened next month to Americans and international travel a month later. I think that’s a mistake… We have worked for 18months to get our case count this low, no reason to open the borders again so quickly when schools are re-opening soon and variants will be making their way around the world again.

I don’t think the vaccines will do the job just yet, too many folks still not having two jabs.

Something like psoriasis or another acute skin condition? I’d say a breathing difficulty, but if I had a breathing condition and there was a virus knocking about that could kill me, I’d have three masks on, and I’m not sure I’d want to be near people anyway.

I’m assuming glasses steaming up doesn’t cut it?

You’d be talking about asthma and copd,neither of which should prevent you from wearing some form of mask.

No shit…… Mrs shops in M&S because mask wearing is absolute.

I can see that, but there is still protective gear that can be worn that doesnt require direct skin contact.

1 Like

my guess is its got more to do with affecting driving.

did they have glasses on?

Most bus drivers are behind screens anyway. Tube and train drivers obviously in their own bit.

Is that the technical term?

I had my second Pfizer jab 2 days ago. Went well though an hour after I lost all strength in my left arm (it’s not very strong on the best of days) which lasted a few hours. Also affected by tinnitus which is deminishing now.
Anyway number of cases are rocketing, again, in France (so I am a little confused, ok most of july was pretty cold in comparison to usual, it’s hotting up now so I’m wondering if this might help).

2 Likes

Jeff Bazos was in the helmet of his space rocket. Maybe it’s the same for trains?

2 Likes