The Corona Pandemic

Eric Clapton has announced that he will cancel any show in which the audience is required to be vaccinated.

So everyone be wary of going to an Eric Clapton gig. You could end up being exposed to a horrible, infectious malignancy that leaves you feeling ill. But enough about Clapton’s music. You could also get Covid.

4 Likes

Maybe a great way to ensure he stops performing? Can we make it happen, please!

Someone has been writing his obit -

Robert Christgau said in an appraisal of Clapton’s legacy:

A promiscuous sideman whose monklike aura has never diminished his extravagant appetites, Clapton likes to get paid, and he’s amassed a discography that for an artist of his caliber is remarkably undistinguished. In his self-protective self-deprecation he often attributes this to his own laziness or his need for a catalyst, but it’s also guitar hero’s disease: like many other guys whose hand-ear coordination is off the curve, he’s a casual tunesmith and a corny lyricist, and his band concepts are chronically hit-or-miss

1 Like
2 Likes

FIFY.

I would say the bit for the drivers of trains and tubes is called the cab, but I don’t know for sure.

2 Likes

So, the answer is that they’re now working on the UK having a slightly larger adult population than their previous uptake %s were calculated on.

Yesterday

Today

1 Like

Bastille Day also.

That was the 14th, which this year just past me by.

2 days ago was the 20th. :wink:

Sorry thought the cases only start rising significantly this week but I can see it’s from ~5th July

Oh yes the case explosion started a little while back however it’s clearer than daylight now.

Edit: more or less corresponds to start of traditional summer holidays. (i.e 20th June though main start is 1st week of July).

I’m surprised that many people still have it on their phones to be honest.

It’s not like we didn’t know that antibody levels would reduce over time, but it appears to reduce quicker than perhaps we thought? Will be interesting to see the data coming from here in the UK- a good testbed with high vaccinations and extreme levels of infections - whether this is playing into the hospitalisation levels of the double vaxxed.

As the article says, antibodies are only part of the protection equation that vaccines are providing, so it will be interesting to know if those in hospital were second dosed months ago or more recently.

If hospitalisations tend to be of the earliest vaxxed, is that waning of the antibody response playing any part in it or is it simply that the earliest vaxxed were the 75-80yo which are the most at risk of hospitalisation regardless?

1 Like
1 Like

Add to that the fact that there will certainly be new variants over the coming months and years, and all of a sudden the government’s policy of relying on vaccinations to do all the work doesn’t look too clever.

2 Likes

Story now on the BBC where it quotes that he (Clapton) had a nasty reaction to the AZ vaccine. I suppose that might skew your view on it a bit but I’m still a little surprised by the announcement.

After everything he’s been through in his life I’m a bit shocked that he isn’t fully aware of the risks but then he did have a relaxed view to chemicals in his younger life I guess.

For the record, I think his early music, Bluesbreaker etc. was brilliant. Kind of went a bit squidgy in the 80’s for me.

2 Likes

I know it isn’t funny, but just couldn’t help myself.

This is the dude that basically says alcohol made him racist. Not surprised.

1 Like

Individuals infected with Delta also had viral loads up to 1,260 times higher than those in people infected with the original strain.

A number of other questions about the Delta variant remain unanswered. It’s still unclear, for instance, whether it is more likely to cause severe disease than the original strain, and how good it is at evading the immune system.

1 Like

There is lots different lines of evidence of the viral load issue with Delta, which is also consistent with speculation earlier in the epidemic of the role of viral load exposure in the infection of people wearing PPE. It’s basically math…a hazard is the chance that when exposed to something it produces a bad outcome. Risk is then the hazard multiplied by the exposure.

That goes back to the swiss cheese approach to public health I posted a out a few weeks ago - if risk is additive based on the totality of behaviors and exposures to hazards, then so to is risk mitigation.

1 Like