The Cricket Thread

It’s ironically one of the sports I see most often on the field near me solely played by Asian kids mind.

They are also playing football too and yet where is their reputation further up, I can only think of handful who have played the game at any reasonably high level in this country.

Maybe it’s the culture and background, then again I do think the statistical anomaly of gay footballers is down to the sports homophobia further down, though I still reckon 2 players in thousands of leagues suggests there is a problem with the game in that situation.

Perhaps the same goes for cricket and race, football still has its flair ups and how long ago was openly hostile racism common on the terrace.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that cricket (both in India and in UK) remains an old boys club. The cream will obviously rise but it all depends on who your parents are , who your coach is and how well connected he is to the guys who are making the decisions. There’s a lot of lobbying happening and people tend to choose their own.

Battle of the condiments :0)

6 Likes

Salt even got Pepper out stumped. Just a shame it wasn’t off the bowling of Lamb for a fully food themed wicket

Could have had Ian “Beefy” Botham commentating too

Not seen it, but I just found out two of the kids in it went to school with my daughter.

Why didn’t this pitch make it be for the test match ?

I thought the ODI’s would show that England can only be good at two formats…. Evidently it may show it can only be good at one at a time.

As long as we win the Ashes I don’t care

3 Likes

BBC HYS blowing up over the result yesterday. “Arrogant”, “the ego of this team”, “can’t bat out 50 overs”,“England need to build a total and not smash every ball for 6”. These are the same people that fapped themselves silly when England smashed everything for 6 in the Test match.

Guess what? Playing very attacking cricket probably carries more risk than it does rewards. Its going to lead to a high number of terrible scores. If you are going to get excited about such cricket when its going well then you need to accept the negatives of it as well. Otherwise you will look like a United supporter caught in the boom-bust cycle.

2 Likes

England’s ‘brand’ of cricket took them from white ball no marks to the best and most exciting team in the world. You don’t suddenly change because India beat you 2-1.

Despite the lack of runs the batting should be fine, the bowling unit doesn’t look good enough though. Add Rashid, Woakes and Archer/Wood instead of Willey, Carse and Overton and England look far better.

Topley had a great series and Richard Gleeson looked really good in the t20s, so that’s something at least.

1 Like

Meaningless bilateral series where both teams experimented with their bench strength. No point overthinking

2 Likes

BBC HYS or as it should be labelled “sPeAk yR brAnES”

If anyone watched the whole of Freddie’s Field of Dreams without a tear in their eye, they weren’t paying attention.
Top stuff!

1 Like

Well, while I’m in London anyway, hello Lords tomorrow :slight_smile: Yes I will post a pissed photo :slight_smile: Overcast all day, should be bonkers.

3 Likes

Early dinner isn’t it…

Sat right next to the blanked off seats below the sight screens. Packed house.

1 Like

Potts walking towards u

Is that a medical emergency near you