The Cricket Thread

You say that as if you expect the rest of the England bowlers to last more than 2-3 games themselves :rofl:

England
Top wicket taker: James Anderson (unless he is injured and I missed it)
Top run scorer: Joe Root (boring but he always turns up for these).

Australia
Top wicket taker: I haven’t a clue who bowls for them now.
Top run scorer: T Head looks in form

Player of the series: T Head
Surprise package: Again wouldn’t have a clue who is the surprise, probably Wood if he plays.
Biggest letdown: Crawley :wink:

Series Result: 4-0 Australia

Creepy can’t be the biggest letdown because expectations are zero.
If he gets a fifty there will be national rejoicing and it will be used as an excuse to keep picking him for the next five years.

1 Like

Suppose injuries to England players would be the biggest letdown.

England
Top wicket taker: Anderson (and retires)
Top run scorer: Ben Duckett

Australia
Top wicket taker: Pat Cummins
Top run scorer: Steve Smith

Player of the series: Stokes
Surprise package: Ben Duckett
Biggest letdown: Moeen Ali

Series Result: 3-2 England

Think Duckett will really bloom this summer. Broad or Anderson will be top for us but if it’s a close call, it’s broad who’ll be dropped for Wood.

I’m going to answer this through the understanding that the series has been organised to fit 5 matches into 6 weeks. Therefore, at least for Australia, there will be a bit of rotation with our bowling attack. For example, I truly think Boland will be possibly the key to Australia winning, but I also believe he Hazlewood and Starc will be rotated through the matches with only Cummins, Green and Lyon playing every match. So my player of the series will be a batsman who will likely play every match.

Knowing Australia will be out to bat at their pace, and if England selectors cannot afford to rest their 50yo bowlers, then its going to be a very long and difficult series for England in the field.

England
Top wicket taker: Anderson
Top run scorer: Root

Australia
Top wicket taker: Cummins
Top run scorer: Marnus

Player of the series: Marnus
Surprise package: Wagging Aussie tail
Biggest letdown: He’s a constant letdown but big bad Davey

Series Result: 3-2 Australia. I wouldn’t rule out the weather ruining one of the matches to result in a drawn series.

Well there’s at least 6 wickets for one of our 60 year old bowlers.

1 Like

I went with 4-0 due to the weather.

I don’t expect a game being drawn without weather intervention.

Be surprised if any go into the 5th day without rain.

1 Like

I think you are overstating what sort of run-rate England are likely to achieve. You are making it sound like England will push for 7r/o when its likely going to be 4-4.5 when factoring in our bowling economy.

Remember, you aren’t playing Bangladesh or Ireland here. Though I hope your players go in with that mindset!

England have confirmed their team for Edgbaston.

1. Duckett
  2. Crawley
  3. Pope
  4. Root
  5. Brook
  6. Stokes
  7. Bairstow
  8. Ali
  9. Broad
  10. Robinson
  11. Anderson

Stokes surely has to be fit to bowl looking at that lineup.

Well you’d have to think so.

We’ll see.

Saves post for future reference…

Could be one of the world’s greatest sporting blags and he’s first change fit as a fiddle.

Could.

Maybe Pope is a hidden medium pacer :joy:

Anyhow finally Lancashire win their first game of the season.

Not like they’ve lost any of the other 5 but :see_no_evil:

Although still 24 hours out, looks its going to be a pretty dry grassless wicket across the 5 days. Batting first is probably going to be an advantage here, so England should use their double headed coin. Although he’s probably going to get belted, Lyon should get some turn and bounce on this one late on. So I expect him to pick up a few.

Weather’s been gorgeous here for weeks (most unusual) so your guys will feel at home. Except for 20,000 pissed fans giving you shit :slight_smile: In a good natured was of course. Cricket really shows football up. Fans sit together and drink all day and there isn’t a hint of trouble.

Except when India play Pakistan that is……

Here’s one, just thinking about all this listening to some Ashes build up pods. Who’s going to bowl more overs all series, Mo or Root? Unless Joe’s injured, he plays every game. Root against Smith could be brutal but Mo against him could be murder.

I am yet to go to an Ashes. I’m not going to lie. If the series is wrapped up by Australia before the Oval I will be trying to source a ticket knowing that there’s a chance there could be tickets available.

2 Likes