The Cricket Thread

Told ya India’s gonna lose

Mo’s the sadly week link but he’ll play (till he gets hit out of the attack on the afternoon of the 3rd day.) I know the idea that you play your best team regardless in the most important games. You’re not playing for tomorrow or building for the future, you need to win this game that’s happening today. But Mo is the past, there has to be a better spinner in the county game. I don’t care that he can bat, the weather of late means for the foreseeable, we’ll have dry turning pitches. Yes the groundsman can water and produce a green top but the prevailing weather affects the pitch. When you win the toss, you do look down but you also look up. It’s currently 28degrees and full sun here.

Let me get in early my Pommy friends……Broad and Anderson have gone a series too long….

Touring in Aus, I agree. Playing at home, we’ll find out Friday. Sadly Jofra has a touch of the Danny Sturridges and every other pace bowler we have is either injured, wayward or too slow.

Just shows what an amazing pro Glen Mc was. Nice bloke too when you hear him speak. Still hate him though.

1 Like

Agree Archer is a good out for the Aussies. But I rate Wood.

On paper, this Aussie team would be too good for England. Batsmen making runs and 4 bowlers that are top drawer.

Starc is the one I am always worried about as an Aussie. Super loose, super expensive, and the type of bowler that will give England half a chance with their tactics. He will be the one targeted. Knowing that he will have an early spell, I can see him leaking runs, then taken off after its already too late and England have their eye in.

I get that he provides a very different bowling approach to the other bowlers in our team, but absolutely I would be going in with Cummins, Boland, Hazlewood (if fit) to ensure we keep it tight.

As for batting, again on paper, pretty good. But I don’t recall a time when both Warner and Usman put on a partnership together. There seems to always be that early wicket loss. In English conditions, I think there will be some games where we might lose a few early wickets and we again rely heavily on the likes of the middle order in Green, Carey and Head to keep us in the match. And knowing we are carrying Davey never helps.

On paper, too good. But in reality, and in English conditions, anything can happen, particularly if England and their crowd pick up some momentum.

2 Likes

Bazball plays a different part.

If England continue their ways of doing maximum carnage , this ashes will shape up to be very interesting.

First time in a long time (since 2005) , I’m actually hoping for an England win.

Now I’d better go and wash my fingers.

2 Likes

Bazball will either be the hero or the villain after just one test. England have won 11 out of 13 with this strategy under Stokes (not checked, something like that) so it will be THE talking point no matter who wins. If Aus win convincingly, there will be calls to scrap it. Win 2 and the knives will be out.

I think that would be the wrong move. Let’s not forget that the Australian bowling attack is the best bowling attack there is. Even if they lost, they should stick with it. No-one should expect it to work 100% of the time. You wouldn’t bet your life on Bazball working too well in India on their dodge-as-fuck pitches would you? If 85% of the time it works every time, then that should be considered a success, especially if it creates some really exciting cricket games in the process (like in NZ).

1 Like

Of course it would. But this is the England cricket team, england management. england selectors and the english media.

If it goes badly there’ll be a clamour for Boycott and Cook to open with Strauss at 3. Can Freddie still bowl?

I actually think it will be a fascinating series with us winning 3-2. Or 2-1 if the weather kicks in.

Starc is the one I’m worried about as an England supporter. He has that x-factor to take wickets almost any time.

1 Like

Had to laugh at this one from Mo. I guess cricket teams are just mates at the end of the day:

“Stokesy messaged me with a question mark - ‘Ashes?’,” said Moeen. "I just said ‘LOL’, thinking he was taking the mick.

Anybody care for some predictions?

England
Top wicket taker: Ollie Robinson
Top run scorer: Joe Root

Australia
Top wicket taker: Pat Cummins
Top run scorer: Steve Smith

Player of the series: Cam Green
Surprise package: Ben Duckett
Biggest letdown: Moeen Ali

Series Result: 3-2 Australia

SkyBet have a tempting offer on all test matches to be concluded within 4 days…

2 Likes

I’ll have a crack.

England
Top wicket taker: Mark Woods
Top run scorer: Joe Root

Australia
Top wicket taker: Scott Boland
Top run scorer: Steve Smith

Player of the series: Travis Head
Surprise package: David Warner, but not the good surprise
Biggest letdown: David Warner

Series Result: 4-1 Australia

1 Like

Hang on. If Smith scores most runs, how does Head get player of the series?

Head will contribute more in the field

England
Top wicket taker: Ollie Robinson
Top run scorer: Harry Brook

Australia
Top wicket taker: Boland
Top run scorer: Head

Player of the series: Boland
Surprise package: Ben Duckett
Biggest letdown: Moeen Ali

Series Result: 3-1 Australia

You are an idealist.

Wood will only be able to play one or two games before his body gives way, so unlikely to be top wicket taker.

1 Like

Can’t beat good head in a field.