The Cricket Thread

Super important first session here for Australia. I would like us to get a lead of any sort.

Expecting Ali to be the other bowler here given how he spooked Carey after that nick to the slips to bring up his 50

Agreed.

Test cricket is the best.

1 Like

Crazy field placings by Stokes here. Suckered Khawaja into playing a strange shot.

The Aussies getting bounced out by medium pacers

1 Like

All this fapping over Stokes’ captaincy and field placements, yet so far, all that has been achieved is us getting 115 overs into your 70yo fast bowlers and spin bowlers with finger injuries, and with a scoreboard almost on parity.

It’s Even Stevens but I’m glad it’s all even now whilst wearing down your bowlers who have lots of Ashes matches with very short turnaround coming up.

:kissing_heart:

Holy shit! We have a lead!! Single digit I grant you…but a lead!

Guess what sunshine…we get to bat on the surface much earlier than anyone expected which will make it easier to score runs and harder for you to catch up.

It ain’t as even stevens as you make it out to be.

And don’t you worry. We see your “love” for well-directed short balls. We have messers Wood and Tongue waiting in the wings

Good job we have Rootalitharan in reserve

1 Like

Rain saving the Australians…

Umpires have brought them back on too early.

1 Like

The game can continue until 19:30. Rain easing. Likely there will be some more overs still, even if there are 55m English praying that the weather sticks around.

These are absolutely ripe conditions for taking wickets. Finally… Finally! The conditions are for once in our favour!

Seen enough entertainment, time to call it off for the day.

1 Like

Crawley :unamused:

1 Like

Tuesday isn’t looking great for this so if I was England I’d try and bat for as long as you can.

If Tuesday is disruption ready there is a chance.

As an Aussie, I’d take a draw knowing tomorrow will be shit weather-wise, but depending on what the overhead conditions are this morning, I could also see England getting in some real trouble with the bat. 2 down with a 30 run lead and overcast conditions could be very tricky for them this morning.

1 Like

Could equally become a 250/280 lead and a declaration. Mo’s finger looks grim though……

But the thing is if they did bat out to 250/280, would you have an expectation that they could obtain that lead and get Australia out in a day? 18 wickets in a day which has acted on the most part as a bit of a road? That’s why I think this weather tomorrow helps Australia much more than England. It gives Australia a chance to win it, while falling back on a draw if English batters don’t crumble.

If England do want to win this, I would expect them to absolutely swing the bat even more than they usually do this morning.

EDIT: If the weather forecast for tomorrow is accurate, then IMO this is very likely to end in a draw.

That’s what they’ll do, and they’ll declare on 120/9 stranding Root on 49*.
Aussies win by 10 wkts :roll_eyes:

I think it will be very interesting what Stokes does. He showed bravery with his first innings declaration. Will he have the same bravery setting a low target that could very well lose him the game?

I do expect England to get over 200 here regardless of how this morning goes given their batting lineup. And I don’t think they will risk a loss, particularly knowing that Moeen could be struggling with his fingers. IF the weather forecast is accurate, there may be some playing time tomorrow arvi on top of the full day today.

Should get a full day in today so we can have a lead of 200+ by lunch in 20-20 mode. I think Stokes will set an achievable target, he doesn’t play to draw. Revised my prediction having looked at tomorrow’s forecast. Might get an hour late on but the morning looks very much (as Brian Johnson would say) setters.

I never use BBC weather. They tend to overpredict the moisture content coming through. This is especially evident when they predict snow.

I find Met Office is much much better: