The Cricket Thread

The Bazball furore will start now.

Captain’s knock.

I was there yesterday and today. First time at a cricket match. Brilliant craic in the Eddie Hollies stand. Absolute carnage yday!

5 Likes

Hell of a game, fair play to Cummins and Lyon for pulling it off. Can only really blame ourselves for losing it. Too many missed chances and runs gifted away via no balls.

Selection headaches ahead of Lords. Stokes clearly not fit enough to bowl what we require or him, Ali with a mangled finger, fast bowling rotation necessary. Wood has to play for me, and Woakes potentially comes into the conversation as well. Broad undroppable after his performance.

1 Like

I kind of feel it’s Australia’s to lose now.

It’s a very winnable test especially after the first innings that they kind of threw away and sadly many of the concerns people had have borne fruit.

England are garbage at Lords generally in these series.

2 Likes

Who would want be a bowler in T20? Middlesex pull off the second biggest T20 chase in history. Over 500 runs in the game. Crazy.

Boring. All swipe and 6, crash and 4. It’s tedious.

1 Like

Ahmed added to the squad

2 Likes

He’s very raw, but could provide the surprise element that England need.

Also, no dodgy bowling finger

I’d be amazed if England start Ahmed at Lords given the fact leggies don’t do well there and he’s had a poor start to the campaign.

Wood in for Ali would be the only change I’d make, use Root if you want to tie up one end with a spinner.

Good shout. I’d also change Bairstow for Foakes.

I don’t think you could do that. Without knowing much about Wood in terms of batting, taking out Ali who is a legitimate batter, replacing with Wood and on top taking out another middle order batter? Not possible.

You’re definitely losing batting ability from the squad without Ali but you’re gaining FAR more in wicket-taking ability…which is what ultimately cost England the first test. So I’d have to disagree. Wood gets you wickets and keeps runs down because batsmen are more circumspect when facing him. Moin on the other hand they took a liking to. 4+ runs per over.

Foakes is a legitimate batsman. Just not as explosive as Bairstow. But you gain a hell of a lot more in wicketkeeping. And the batting solidity isn’t compromised.

On the balance I’d say it’s entirely justifiable

Good, some new blood.

Edit, just saw above posts. Article stands though.

The numbers are perhaps higher than one would have thought, and I had no idea the women had never been allowed to play a Test at Lords FFS, but none of this would be too shocking, surely?

This is exactly what cricket looks like from this fairly distant observer…

1 Like

Trouble is that those accusations don’t just apply to cricket. English society is racist, sexist and elitist.

4 Likes

It does always make me chuckle a little bit when a country with a monarchy and an aristocracy gets wound up about elitism.

2 Likes

This. It’s not cricket, it’s cultural. I play in what would be considered a deprived area. There’s zero elitism. But I’ve had to ball out racist comments from kids several times. Had to kick a guy off the pitch once for calling the umpire (who was Indian) a cheating p@@i bastard and he was in his 30s. Casual racism is common up here. Local to me it’s hideous.

It is fair to say though that the whole team are either older working guys or kids who’s parents work and fetch and carry them on a Sunday. There’s nobody who can’t afford all the kit and it ain’t cheap. I baulked at buying a club white shirt! Training kit and matching cap for nets and to arrive at games in? Nooooo……

There’s a few womens’ teams (the debate about calling them the womens’ team or the ladies’ team at an AGM made my teeth itch) and several of them have played for the Mens’ 3rds on a Sunday. They’ve always been treated with great respect and in many cases out performed us cavemen. One girl (17) in particular came out to the middle after a wicket to bat with me a few weeks ago. After the first ball she shouted to the bowler “Don’t slow down just because I’m a girl!” Smacked his next ball for 4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hopefully the Aussies are in for a Tongue-lashing

sign language lol GIF by ASL Nook