The Cricket Thread

yeah the shambolic was harsh ill tweak it

And now the dodgy pommy tabloids having a shot at the Aussie dodgy tabloids for a headline calling Stokes a crybaby.

This hypocrisy gift just keeps on giving.

Instead the Headline should read Stokes is a legend.

1 Like

As I said I think the issue is coming from England team is the fact they know they could be 1-1 or even 2-0 up but they’ve made errors throughout.

So far there has not been much in it when the focus returns to cricket. At 1-180 a bit of test match batting discipline coulda/shoulda won the match for England. Some average keeping didn’t help. Pick some real quicks surely there are better options than Anderson and Robinson. Woods ya man assuming he is fit.

1 Like

I’ll explain my position, and how I came to it.

When I was a young lad in the early seventies, I went to the Oval with my Grandad to see England v West Indies. They weren’t yet at their peak, but were on the way up and had some great players. They were batting and the legendary Garry Sobers was at the crease. I was very worried about what he’d do to the English bowling, but having only reached 10, he was run out. The whole ground roared and I jumped up to celebrate. The only person sitting was my Grandad. I asked him why, and he said, ‘I really wanted you to see Sobers in full flow’.
He was right. It would have been a wonderful experience to have seen one of the all time greats playing a big innings and I would remember it today.
I’ve always tried to remember that, and bear it in mind when watching sport, especially cricket. It’s not always easy, but if you don’t have ideals to live up to, what do you have?

That’s why I believe in a thing called the spirit of the game.

The same reason that the fielder who caught Bradman in his last test got so much stick from the crowd.

Just because I am having such fun with the hypocrisy…

Bairstow not just throwing down the stumps after collecting the ball like Carey, but actually waiting for the batsman to lift his foot. No wonder he’s being so quiet and not taking the moral high ground. Root there also enjoying it. Now that is cheating. And the commentators calling it smart play :rofl:

Good lord what a lovely week so far. Liverpool signings, Ashes wins, and salty English tears.

4 Likes

Not from me.

My best sporting memories are with my grandad (now passed). Never at a game but sitting down to watch Australian tests for days on end.

2 Likes

Ollie Pope out for the rest of the Ashes. No replacement called up for Headingly, so Lawrence, Ali, Woakes, or Wood will be coming in. Lawrence is the only recognised batsman, so assume he comes in, but Ali is useful in at the top of the tail at 6/7

For overall balance, I would think Ali coming in for Pope makes most sense.

Can do his share of bowling, but would be handy with the bat at the top of the tail order, then push Stokes up. The big question would be do you go Stokes at 3 and Root at 4 or Root at 3 and Stokes at 4?

Then bring Wood in for Anderson as I think the bowling attack needs someone the brings something a bit different to what the others already provide.

There is a perception of Ali based on the very beginning of his career which is no longer reality.
Woakes has the same Test batting average.
Foakes has a significantly better average than either, and, incidentally, Lawrence.

1 Like

As long as Liverpool don’t decide to bring Pope in for our Ali.

1 Like

An unfortunate injury but a great opportunity to properly balance the side and they’re going to waste it: Ridiculous they haven’t called up Foakes. The talk is Brook will move to three and Lawrence comes into the middle order.

Should move Stokes to 3, take the gloves from Bairstow, bat him above Foakes and bring Woakes, Ali and Wood into the side.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1676535850505498624?s=20

Thought Tongue bowled well but…

Foakes sadly still not used.

Totally agree MH. Tongue may not be 100% fit, otherwise he looked better than Robinson.

Not convinced that Ali has much to offer, but I’d love to be proved wrong.

1 Like

It really does stagger me that he’s our best spin option. Yes he knows how to hold a bat and has scored a lot of runs but that’s never the reason to pick a bowler. England are always about compromise. Pick 5 bats, a WK, an all rounder and 4 bowlers. Mo isn’t an all rounder of the required standard. When you only have one spinner, he needs to be a front line bowler, not a half and half man. Said it before, there’s a kid at our club who’s a better spin bowler. Broad will be a properly niggly bastard and really glad Wood is back. Knowing our luck, he’ll limp off in his 4th over.

1 Like

Hopefully Woakes bats above Ali. Looks like a throwback to a Trevor Bayliss side.

Sounds like Tounge is rested due to a history of injuries which is fair enough.

1 Like

That side looks better, even if no Foakes.

On a different note, had my first net session in years yesterday. Forgot how much I love to play cricket. Instantly signed up for a club, hopefully play a couple of games before the summer is over.

6 Likes

Bowling for the first time of the season is always a fun experience. Particularly the following few days. Batting is glorious when you’re seeing it and hitting it nicely.