The Cricket Thread

You can’t leave that there.

2 Likes

You have a place in Wisden? Well go on then.

1 Like

Yeah, my fairly modest stats for the cricketing summer of 1995 are in Wisden. Many of the independent schools are included in each annual edition of Wisden but each player needs to make a minimum number of runs or take a minimum number of wickets over the season in order to qualify.

Our final game was against the MCC who had a number of good players in their side. I would normally come in to bat at around 7 or 8 (I was a keeper) but I played spin well so I came in at 5 as Ian Salisbury had ripped through our top order leaving us around 40 for 3.

I then rebuilt the innings with my batting partner and we put on nearly a hundred stand with me taking most of the deliveries from Salisbury (at one point I hit him over the school pavilion for a massive six).

In the penultimate over of our innings my team mate ran me out calling for a suicidal run. One of my favourite photos is of me walking off with a face like thunder and the MCC lads applauding me off the field.

It left me 2 runs short of the qualifying amount needed for Wisden.

Earlier in the season I had hit three huge “sixes” at an away ground. But because they hit the top of a tree that had its trunk just within the boundary edge they only counted as fours… :rage:

Anyway, after my final innings against the MCC unbeknownst to me my Master in Charge of Cricket rang up his opposite number at this other school and he agreed to change those fours for sixes (it didn’t affect the result of that game) in the scorecards. As a result, I qualified for Wisden by 4 runs :wink:

I guess another way of looking at it is that rather than owing my place to it the tree nearly cost me my place in Wisden!

Edited to add photo - I was so pissed off! :joy:
Walking off in a huff

My concerned team mates! Haha
concerned team mates

11 Likes

I’m at Old Trafford for the roses county match, probably due to covid but it’s the biggest I’ve seen the crowd for a non test red ball match

4 Likes

Red rose smashing them… good to see.

2 Likes

Topping the group as well, been a good start for the red rose

1 Like

Yorkshire surprisingly may still save this

Phew job done with 20 minutes left pretty much :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m scared lancs might loose a few key players for the business end of the season, with Mahmood and parky playing so well

Possibly, though they don’t seem to make such drastic changes anymore do England.

I assume those in the squad will be the bulk of what we will see in the summer later on.

Though dunno how short ball conflicts with the league.

New Zealand team looks great on paper today, would say they are far stronger in the batting department than England. Interested to see how Robinson bowls given the hype around him.

Sunshine, cricket, booze and that’s just my garden :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Conway looks like another great find for NZ. Well organised and has looked pretty comfortable other than the odd 94mph short ball from Wood.

1 Like

Yeah, great knock, kid looks good.

Bloody hell Joe could have done without that to start the day

1 Like

In some ways it’s reassuring to know that there are certain things that never change.
Taxes, death and the English Test team’s ability to swing from brilliant to atrocious in the blink of an eye.

3 Likes

Starting to hope for an NZ win. England rubbish and deserve nothing.

Eh, bit of a grim watch that last day. England could have shown more intent but with only one player in that batting line assured of his spot I’m not surprised they didn’t go all out.

I’m in with a shout opening for England, 24 off 15 over opening for me yeaterday.

Tbf, your bowling is probably just out of practice.

1 Like