The Cricket Thread

I used to see him regularly when I attended Surrey matches. Wonderful batsman. I never met him, but I have never heard a bad word spoken about him; by all accounts, he was a lovely bloke.

My condolences to his family and friends.

5 Likes

What? He was such a great player and nice chap.

He had issues with depression and drink. I pray it was not those demons that took him before his time.

1 Like

And I am 56. Grew up watching him. Wow talk about sensing your own mortality when people your age start dying!!!

1 Like

Seems like he had been battling an illness for the last 2 years, but the article doesn’t specify what the illness was.

1 Like

England’s best batsman for the duration of his test career, like Root in this era he was too often let down by those around him.

RIP.

1 Like

Agree. He was Mr dependable. Played it late like Root. Nurdle behind square on the off like Root.

I have him with Gooch, KP, Root as the best I have watched.

6 Likes

That’s a really sad update. It did seem that there was more to the situation when you heard the language his former teammates were using when paying tribute to him.

1 Like

https://x.com/Wulf_Helm/status/1826009783432098114?t=AomOsPavuleCWA7Y4vWShg&s=19

1 Like

Looks like it could be an interesting finish in the Old Trafford test.
Sri Lanka making England work hard.

SL look to be a better team than WI were, should be a competitive series at least.

Root should see England home, another good innings from Smith though. Looks very competent at this level, probably MOTM (if England win).

2 Likes

How many times has that happened? England have a wobble, Root sorts it out.

1 Like

Supreme temperament, technique and an ability to play pretty much any and every situation, the only England player who has proved he can consistently do that over the past decade or so.

2 Likes

@Iftikhar

Are you seeing the pak vs Bangladesh match ?

2 Likes

Congratulations to the LFC of cricket!

All the best @Iftikhar :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks @Bekloppt @Sithbare :partying_face::bangladesh:

2 Likes

Atkinson fairytale, great stuff.

Watching Root bat encapsulates the superiority of test cricket over any other format.

2 Likes

Which makes what Vaughn is blathering on publicly even more galling. Seriously STFU

1 Like

Vaughan proving himself to be a cnut again.

On stuff like this it would be good eithier to say nothing or show at least some possibility at being wrong.

2 Likes