The Cricket Thread

England’s top order 10 years ago was the best around, now it’s a revolving door of clowns and misfits. Joe Root must be ruing the fact he’s spending his prime years batting with absolute rubbish.

4 Likes

I’d be tempted to stick Bairstow in to open with Burns. Tell him to approach it like a limited overs game.

Burns
Bairstow
Hameed
Root
Malan
Buttler
Ali
Overton
Robinson
Mahmood
Anderson

Not sure getting Bairstow to open is really going to help someone. He isn’t a test player.

Not sure Hameed looked test class this time around. Feet in cement. I would have stuck with Crawley.

Personally I’d swap Bairstow and hameed round but that’s the XI I’d go for

I have no idea about most of the players named, but I’m looking forward to the third test. Test Cricket is really enjoyable. #T20out

1 Like

Crawley has been abysmal bar the huge score against Pakistan. Think he only averages in the low 30s on the county circuit as well which suggests to me he’s just not suited to playing test cricket. Think he’ll still have a decent career for England in the shorter formats.

Really does suck that Abell isn’t fit, from what I’ve seen of him I think he definitely has the makings of a test cricketer. Would like to think he’d be the next cab off the rank, potentially along with Libby who’s name is starting to get mentioned more as well after a few promising seasons.

One day cup final on a Thursday afternoon tells you many of the issues cricket that isn’t very short form is having in this country.

How’s the replacement ?

Got to be Saqib Mahmood to replace wood, he’s rapid and played well across all formats.
23 wickets in the county championship this year in 6 games.
Has to be the quickest bowler I’ve seen in the flesh, but I feel like his games isn’t too focused on the speed he bowls

2 Likes

Surprised they’ve not picked Mahmood, feels like it’s a big test match for Curran who’s been underperforming for a while now, surely can’t be getting many more chances. Overton lengthens the tail again, I’d bat him above Curran tbh.

A good toss to lose for Root I’d say, Anderson at his very best.

Test Cricket is so tasty :heart_eyes:. Even though I don’t know half the players.

3 down in the first session, excellent. Well bowled Jimmy :slight_smile:

India go to lunch at 56-4. 3 wickets for Anderson, 1 for Robinson, all caught behind by Buttler.

Think the record for an England wicketkeeper is 6 in one innings?

Apologies. Bob Taylor took 7 against India in Mumbai in 1980. Joint most by any keeper.

6 is the most taken in England in one innings. John Murray at Lord’s in 1967, Ian Healey at Edgbaston in 1997, Alec Stewart at Old Trafford in the same Ashes series, and Geraint Jones at Chester-le-Street in 2005.

Buttler now up to 5, Robinson gets Pant for 2 caught behind

1 Like

It’ll all prove to be fruitless when England collapse too!

1 Like

…or when they will allow 100 runs in last wickets :stuck_out_tongue:

India 67 for 9

It would be classic England to let these 2 put on an 80 run partnership.

2 Likes