The Cricket Thread

Don’t be so pessimistic… nekminnit

Always an optimist here mate but seen England play badly down under too many times. I suspect those two simple drops might instigate a third for the next test.

But England management will compare them based on their batting not keeping. Because all that matters is bailing out the bats that currently are seemingly sleeping. After those drops though, suspect we’ll see Foakes.

I once heard one of the West Indian greats, think it was Viv, say you pick your best batsmen and best bowlers and best keeper. If your batsmen aren’t good enough to score the runs, get better ones, don’t pick worse bowlers who are never going to be as good as the batsmen. Makes sense really, don’t hamper a critical part of the team by selecting “jack of all trades” players. Unless they’re Botham or Stokes obviously.

1 Like

Buttler I think averages close to 50 at 6, much higher than the 30 odd he averages at 7. He’s been pretty poor at batting with the tail of late, so you could make an argument that bringing Foakes in and moving Buttler up the order strengthens England in two ways.

Cant see it happening though. If they make a change in the batting Bairstow will be the first cab of the rank and they’ll just continue to cycle through him, Buttler, Pope and maybe Lawrence after one of them gets a run of low scores.

A keeper who drops a player who then goes on to make a big hundred needs one hell of an average.

This match is still on IMO with 300 only on the board. I’m not convinced by our tail, and if England can get through them promptly, that can really disrupt our planned timing of the new ball under lights. Could potentially have an older ball under lights.

Add in the fact 2 of the top 4 bowlers in the world have been scratched from our team. Plenty of question marks how our inexperienced bowling lineup will handle the situation. If England batters can come out not looking fatigued and timid they could turn things around.

I wish I had such a rosy view of the England team.
Australia will post well north of 400 and England have one in form batsman.
Aus 450ish
Eng 250ish
Aus 150ish dec
Eng 150ish

Don’t let the intensity drop. Target the new batsman. Aim for 350 all out.

But you’re probably right.

1 Like

Gonna be one hell of a collapse…

I wonder if England don’t win this game, what will the plan be for the following tests. Woakes and Robinson won’t be able to go the full five tests w/o a break and Anderson similarly will need to be rested at some point. Stokes can be managed but he’ll also likely need a break. Wood, though not playing is liable to break at any point…

I’d be tempted to get Curren in for the last three tests - he’s across in Aus already and is handy with both bat and ball.

Depends whether England can manage to draw this game. If it’s still 1-0 after 2 matches there is still everything to play for.

Even if England draw, do you risk breaking one of the bowlers and risk both the bowler and the match they are playing in at the time?

Classic timewasting. Calling for a review on a random ball to maybe take an over off the end of the day.

Declare now Smith. Get ‘em in when it gets dark.

I’ll take these additional no pressure freebie runs thanks! All over now.

England are notoriously shit at getting through the tail cheaply. Starc will probably end this series with more runs and a higher average than all of our batsman bar Root the way we bowl at them.

1 Like

I think Warner could probably reach 100 before lunch with him bowling. 75mph on the road they are about to play on in Melbourne won’t be much use.

they aren’t winning this.

1 Like

They have a slight chance of drawing it. Depends how long they can bat for here and if they can get anywhere close to the Australia score, if they have to bat out let’s say 120 overs on Day 4 & 5 then Lyon will run through them.

Richardson the first bowler who seems to be getting some noticeable swing.

That’s Australia starting with the new pink ball under lights. That’s when it begins acting up. Expect Starc to get some wickets to boost his stats anytime soon.