The Cricket Thread

Think the comparisons with the SA team aren’t on. If you want to compare the Australian team, Compare them to the other top teams around the world today. Would this Australian team win an ashes in England (if it’s this England squad , then they might have a chance)… But I don’t see this Australian team doing well in any place other than Aus and probably SA. They aren’t a team for all conditions.

Most teams have ups and downs over their history. Some don’t seem to get out of the rut though. Teams like SA,SL,Wi are probably stuck in that.

This England team is killing my love for Cricket.

1 Like

Really? Why wouldn’t they be? South Africa is a traditional cricket playing nation pre and post isolation and had good to great teams throughout which is often forgotten. Cricket in South Africa didn’t suddenly begin in 1991. Since reintroduction cricket in South Africa was always of a really high quality until it fell of a cliff not all that long ago, which is my point. From consistently world class to pretty dire in such a short space is West Indie (ish) and a way that Australia could easily have gone but didn’t. It’s also often overlooked how easy it is to be also rans after a stellar period and not just in cricket; Liverpool, United, Arsenal but just to name a few in football.

I’ve thought this for years. As a very simple strategy, put the two highest red ball averaging players into the test team every year. Means you’re not relying on Zac Crawley who’s averaging 11.

India lost 7 wickets in 69 balls…but were already sitting pretty with over 270 on the the board.

South Africa were 32-4…and finished just shy of 200.

What I’m trying to say is that batting collapses happen to all teams. But the mentality with England seems to be that once the collapse starts, they seem to buy into the narrative that it’s all over, instead of trying to face the fight.

Exactly this. They need to change their mindset. Play ugly at times. Players need to step up.

And with the bowling, India lost their best bowler Bumrah for most of yesterday, but their fifth bowler Thakur stepped up. I just get the feeling that England look at their missing players (Joffra) and then feel sorry for themselves.

No point thinking “if Archer was here”. He’s not. So if you’re on the field, grit it out.

In that series, India had Liverpool defence 2020-21 injury problems. Other players stepped up. Now, of course India are a huge class above this England test team, but the principle is still the same - stop feeling sorry for yourselves and fight.

Rant over.

2 Likes

Just one fwd which is getting around nowadays

What was the punchline for the last one? It seems half is missing

Cinderella knew when to leave the ball. :joy::joy:

Ain’t gonna lose the ashes perhaps

Nah, the one below - about the funeral director

1 Like

Bah - ignore me, I’m a dumbass :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Applies for Kohli as well. His batting has been pathetic last two years… Hope the indian selectors grow a pair and drop him.

Hope there are atleast two sessions of play possible in the India SA match. Thats proving to be quite a watch.

England players have tried to play ugly. They’re getting out defending.

They don’t have the technique or the judgement required to leave it. They’re not good enough to play against the likes of Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood.

Except that the likes of Boland and Neser get wickets too against them. As does Cameron Green.

Not disrespecting them , but it’s not as if they are getting out only to Cummins and Hazlewood , They are getting out to the newer lads as well.

1 Like

To be fair to Boland, he is 32 and Victorian born & bred.

He knows the MCG pitch and conditions and has a record in SS that shows he is a decent player. Maybe he got lucky with some of the dismisals or maybe he was the one that best knew how to bowl at times to maximise the chances he would take wickets.

1 Like

Boland and Neser aren’t the future bowling attack for Australia too though. They’ll probably be good in their conditions but they aren’t first choice bowlers. Is Boland going to be a guaranteed starter for the next 6-7 matches ? I’m not even sure the Aussies will look at him after this ashes.

England went into the series with that defeatist mindset. They weren’t ready to play cricket. They can blame it on Archer getting injured etc etc, but at the end of. It matters more on what you do on that particular day and innings.

2 Likes

India even with their obvious middle order batting frailties did manage to win in Centurion. Not the same as it’s not the same caliber SA side as before. But not many teams have won in Centurion in the past.

Quinton De Kock retires from test cricket. 1st step in his plan to become another T20 mercenary i guess.

All set for the annual booze fest in the Sydney Cricket Ground members bar. Huge event and Ashes tests are always the busiest and best.

Raining right now and the forecast is shite. Dammit.