The Cricket Thread

If not the gratest spinner of all time, ranks in top 3 spinners of all time.

Him and McGrath were responsible for half of the Aus wins over that decade.

RIP.

2 Likes

Murili is up there with him, who is the 3rd spinner?

1 Like

The medium pace non spinning spinner Anil Kumble? Harbajan took some wickets, but i think will be one in top 10 at best.

Kumble , Saqlain

Harbhajan won’t come close to them. Ashwin might though

1 Like

Kumble was a good spin bowler, but would he be classed as one of the top 3?

Not aware of Saqlain, so not willing to comment on this one

Saqlain and Kumble were both very good, perhaps even excellent bowlers, but nowhere near the all time best lists I would have thought. A case can be made for Warne but didn’t he struggle in India and Pakistan?

Muralitharan struggled in India and Australia as well.

Warne was the brilliance behind Aus cricket. He wasn’t captain as he was “busy” but the guy steered the team. He and Glen (another top bloke who I HATED on the pitch) were the reason that cricket (like football) was a curse for me in the 90s. It was an old gag that the best chance Liverpool had of winning a game was to play the England cricket team. At cricket.

If not for his eccentricities , he probably should have been the captain. He had an unbelievable take on the game and in all probability would have been a better captain than ponting

No question but as we’ve seen in so many different instances, genius is regularly disturbed.

3 Likes

I dont think he waa disturbed…he just didnt respect authority and that for a culture like cricket when the captain is almost as big as the team… (A rebel isnt quite as tolerated).

His personal failings aside obviously. But as a cricketer, he would have made a better captain than the obvious choices.

Perhaps its telling that he picked jadeja and mentored him in his initial ipl career… He just scored a 175 and took a 9 for in a test match.

1 Like

By disturbed I meant that his mind was not always on his cricket.

I think if there was anytime when his mind was together, It was when he was playing cricket.

Worth watching Warne on Amazon. Great insight.

Probably the best bowler I can think of. When he bowled things happened. His record is incredible.

Even as a coach he was successful.

2 Likes

England vs West Indies starts tomorrow

1 Like

England’s bowling looks weak

Thankfully their batting is top noooot oh forget it

1 Like

Did australia just take 4 wickets only in a test match. How dead must the wicket be ?

1 Like

When one batsman comes in and makes the others look foolish really is one of the amazing things about cricket. By almost every metric Root is the better player yet Bairstow looked increasingly like he was playing on a mirror, forget a road.

2 Likes

Playing on a mirror would be really tricky