The Cricket Thread

That’s one major reason. The bodies not getting enough rest because of the need for the T20 paycheque.

Also, SA probably kept hurrying Steyn back into the picture when he really could have needed a summer off (and ensure that he didn’t play T20 as well)

Brett Lee is the outliner though.

He had a lot of injuries when he was still young, but as he got older, he seemed to better deal with the physicality of bowling and reduced the injuries at a time when most bowlers are starting to pick them up

2 Likes

Cummins had injury problems early in his career, but has been ok since hasn’t he?

2 Likes

He is. He’d be into his 5th over of his spell and still bowl at least an average 92mph per delivery. By that time the others would drop to a mid-high 80’s with a possible 90 effort ball (which are never as good as when delivered with rhythm unless it’s a bouncer)

Yeah , that was a bad injury for Cummins earlier on in his career. Probably because he got rushed to international cricket too soon. I think he made his international debut when he was 18 or so and injuries cost him a fair chunk of time.

Brett Lee and Shoaib Akthar were two notch above the likes of Steyn , Cummins , Bumrah etc.

Starc and Jonno were probably in between the first two groups.

Speed isn’t everything but I’d rather watch the afore mentioned bowlers than watch the likes of Mcgrath Pollock Anderson and that’s not to say the likes of Steyn Cummins Bumrah are slouches in the skill department

Talking of fast bowlers , there’s a new fast bowler coming up… Umran Malik… he’s bowling in the mid 150’s with quite some regularity. Hopefully, he maintains his speed in tests as well.

1 Like

And Wasim and Waqar before them

Wasim wasn’t flat out fast. His mastery was more to swing , although still faster than mcgrath , pollock and anderson. Waqar before his injury was a steyn type tearaway bowler.

2 Likes

I remember reading a story about a Oz vs Windies test match…some Aussie bowler decided to subject Patrick Patterson to a few bouncers.
He was so incensed he went into the Aussie dressing room and told them to watch out in the final innings.
Australia was bowled out in double digits and Patterson scared the shit out of the Aussie batting lineup

2 Likes

For all accounts, Patterson didn’t want to take wickets , he wanted to break bones. And it was Steve Waugh who decided to bounce him.

And that’s back in the day when there were no limits to bouncers per over. And maybe uncovered pitches?

“ In Jamaica, locals recall Sabina Park turning into a cauldron every time their beloved “Rambo”, as they called him here, would come galloping down from the George Headley Stand. As part of that same lecture last year, Dujon talks about the one time an enraged Patterson walked up to the Australian dressing-room after being sledged while batting at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and pointed at some of their batsmen saying, “You, you, you, you. I’ll kill you all tomorrow.” Needless to say, Patterson finished them off for 114 with a five-wicket haul.”

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Cricket is a natural arena for sledging. There are many great ones but the one I’ve recalled a couple of times recently is when a bowler informed a batsman that there was a piece of shit on the end of his bat. When the batsman looked at the bottom of his bat, the bowler said, “the other end”
:rofl:
I can’t be bothered to look up who said it.

1 Like

Really looking forward to the match tomorrow. I’m a huge NZ fan and I’m curious to see whether England can start to rebuild.

I was going go but £70 I’m the current climate is beyond me. There is going be a few spares

1 Like

How is englands first team looking ?

NZ 36-6 :eyes:

What the actual f**?!!! :hushed:

Who are these players, and what has been done with the real England team? :rofl: