The Cycling Thread

Fucking hell. That is so young and he must have been so fit!!

Awful.

1 Like

That is just bonkers. Terrible thing to happen and the last thing youā€™d expect. A heart defect maybe? These guys have V02 max way up in the 70ā€™s or so.

Not that Iā€™m worried that I beasted myself doing 7.5 miles mountain biking this evening. Iā€™m kinda walking funny at the mo.

I think athletes actually tend to have a higher rate of cardiac issues in life, particularly for endurance racing. I canā€™t remember where Iā€™ve read that from though.

Todayā€™s Vuelta a EspaƱa stage 6 ā€œappearedā€ to be a good mountainous stage and finishing. But canā€™t see shite because of the pea soup at the final kms.

Interesting.

Came across a fascinating article yesterday on a inversely proportional relationship between VO2 max and cycling efficiency.

Pro cyclists,even good level club cyclists had VO2 max ranges from low 60ā€™s to low 80ā€™s. Those in the lower ranges were found to be more efficient on the bike while those in the higher levels were the opposite. There are exceptions of course.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Not that it is a surprise the way Team Sky raked in grand tour victories.

Tom Pidcock wins the Strade Bianche.

Getting a feeling heā€™ll be one to watch pretty soon.

Yep.

My favourite one day race of the year.

He was helped out by the horrible tactics of the chasers at the end, but a win is a win.

Big future ahead for him.

Broke clear on a descent I believe? Just seen short clips.

They just didnā€™t get organised behind him, and some JV infighting didnā€™t help.

Pog been doing lots of Pog things of late.

Just another level.

MvDP not far behind himā€¦arguably in front given his last two Monuments he finished 1 and 2, respectively!!

1 Like

With the big one this weekend!!!

2 Likes

Your man pulled it off over the weekend. He won I meant

Was amazing viewing.

Wout so unlucky to puncture when he didā€¦but I would argue MvdP had his measure anyway.

Weā€™ll never know!!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good gravel/touring bike? Recently had my bike stolen so Iā€™m in the market for a new one, not out of choice sadly.

Itā€™ll mostly be used for commuting, with the odd trip here and there. Will also be taking it out to the forest fairly often.

If it was me, I would check out what Cannondaleā€™s are on offer at e-bay

Thing is, I read about how steel bikes are supposedly a lot more comfortable (I plan to use this for longer and longer distance rides gradually) so I started leaning towards that.

Based on reading reviews and comments, seems like the Ribble CGR 725 is the most value-for-money, but Iā€™m looking for alternatives to that. Not sure if I can register any second-hand bikes on my home insurance unfortunatelyā€¦

Itā€™s absolutely insane how much things cost these days.

I just looked at what Trek is charging for bikes over there these days, holy f***balls Ā£12,000 for a bike? thatā€™s just nuts.

I bought my 27" GT for $180 off FB Marketplace, basically new.