The East is Red

This thread is for Reds living in East Asia, i.e. China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Koreas and of course Japan.

There was once another TIA Red in Japan but he or she seems to have disappeared. It’s surprising that we don’t seem have many, or any, Reds from China. There must be a few out there. Maybe the thread title will entice a few to show them selves.

1 Like

I have a number of friends in China and HK and Taiwan who are Liverpool fans, in fact the fanbase is very sizeable but my Taiwanese and Chinese friends don’t really join such forums because their first language is not English, at least that’s what my friends told me

2 Likes

I expect that’s true for a lot of Japanese LFC fans too. I know there is a Liverpool Supporters Club in Tokyo based in an LFC themed bar, but it seems that the members are all Japanese and probably aren’t confident about expressing themselves in writing in English.

I know that even very well educated Japanese have difficulty in doing that.

1 Like

That is a fair point, but I always found it strange that Japanese - especially the younger generations often speak excellent English, but struggle with writing in English.

Let’s take a detour off the topic, shall we!

I think that the Japanese aren’t/weren’t too comfortable to communicate in English. This is perhaps a reason they didn’t dominate like the Chinese are doing now? I know that the Chinese government were very insistent during the 1990s that the younger generation are not just competent but also comfortable communicating in English.

Not Liverpool related but recently I’ve been offered a job in Seoul, Korea. Tad more money that I’ll make at home but I’m single, young and wouldn’t mind seeing the world. What would you guys do??? I don’t speak Korean but supposedly according to others who have gone out there to work in the same role I’ll be in, it’s not really an issue. Obviously plenty of hassle for only a few hundred extra a week wage but I’d like to have a change from my home country. Thoughts appreciated guys

1 Like

Go for it.

1 Like

Go for it.

Even if you only do it for 12-18 months, that experience will set you up really well later on as it shows you are adaptable, willing to push yourself and your boundries, and SE Asia is fucking bonkers but a good bonkers - you will never get bored and the people are pretty friendly so you won’t get lonely as your work colleagues will make sure your not feeling left out , alone or isolated.

2 Likes

Agree with @Iftikhar, go for it if your situation permits!

The value of overseas experience (culture, language, leadership, independence) far outweighs the monetary benefits. When you do eventually decide to return home, you would not be short of suitors due to the experience and skills you have picked up.

4 Likes

Yeah, go for it because you’ll probably regret it if you don’t.

I see you’re from Ireland. Obviously Korea is going to be very different in every respect. I don’t know if you’ve experienced that sort of thing before, but if you haven’t then it will be challenging to begin with, depending on how much support you get over there in terms of accommodation and guidance.

Right now it’s absolutely freezing there; daytime temps are barely above zero, and in the summer it’ll be in the mid 30s and very humid. Can you handle that?

Anyway, if you’re young, free and single then go ahead. It might change the direction of your whole life.

3 Likes

Hi lads thanks for the replies I’ve a zoom meeting tonight so I reckon I’ll have some more details later on because I’ll accept to going now.

Yeah I’m Irish, I think I should be able to handle the cold, and I’d love to be surrounded by heat a tad more than currently lol. I’d like to experience the culture and even if I’m back in a year it’s something I’ll remember until I die. I’ve never been aboard so it’s a risk on whether I’ll get homesick or not. I probably will but can I get over it is the main thing. What do you guys reckon are nightclubs open there, I heard it’s a brilliant scene out there alongside the bars, that would help a lot as I enjoy a drink up .

Yeah I do think it would enhance my CV and future prospects, I’d love to learn the language aswell as I can get a higher up role in my job if so. Heard it’s one of the harder language in the world so it will be difficult.

3 Likes

I haven’t been there since the 90s, but I can confirm that they like a drink. Very definitely. As for food, they’re big meat-eaters and I would suggest trying some kimchi before you go there. I think you would have to get used to it very quickly. I live in Japan and kimchi’s popular here too. I hated it at first but I have no problem with it now. In case you don’t know, it’s fermented cabbage seasoned with garlic and a spicy chilli-like red pepper.

3 Likes

Are you going there to be part of a Korean Pretty Boyband?

Bts GIF by Spotify

1 Like

Regret as a word in the English language is simplistic.
In Thai, there’s a distinction of regretting not doing it and regret in doing it.
For me, I choose the latter as I would know for sure later whether it’s the right decision.
In not doing it, I would never know for the rest of my life.
In short, don’t do, won’t know.

2 Likes

In seriousness, South Korea is very friendly to foreigners in many ways but the opposite can be true in many ways too. I love and hate South Korea in various ways. The culture, the people, the food are generally great. However from a business point of view, it does take alot of effort for you to assimilate in. Language is one. Even their big commercial cities, English is just not that common. In fact Chinese is spoken more in tourist areas than English. So you are right to want to learn the language, it will help your everyday life and elevate your interaction with locals. Corporate hierachy can be frustrating and even workplace gender bias can be very alarming in a modern city like Seoul. But other than a few personal niggling dislikes, it is a great place to live in Asia (i suppose you are going to Seoul?) And yes I would take it if it was me.

3 Likes

Start packing @Euphoria :blush:

How did you know??? I think Im being cast to be the 8th member of BTS.

1 Like

Thanks for the messages guys. I’ve agreed to going. They are offering to look after my apartment in Seoul for me (like bills and fees and that). So no rent which is great. I suppose the downside that it won’t be nice though. My office will be based in Gangnam. It’s the same place as that song hahaha. I had a look on Google maps which is shockingly bad, I can’t see anything on there. Nice shops though. I will get more details within the month and if all goes well I’ll be in Seoul by Summer

3 Likes

Google says …
“Gangnam” is an area in South Korea, specifically a small area in Seoul, South Korea, home to about 1% of the population of Seoul and is about the size of Manhattan. It is known for its wealthy, “new money”, inhabitants. … As pop critic Kim Zakka, who lives in Seoul, said “Gangnam inspires both envy and distaste.

So your apartment might be pretty good.

2 Likes

Oh wow sounds good. Yeah hopefully it’s a nice place. Hopefully the nightclub scene is good out there. I’m forever holding on to my early twenty’s hahaha. Heard it’s quite safe though to be drunk in public. I lived in Dubai for a while and I wouldn’t even go out in public if tipsy as I was terrified of disrespecting the country and getting thrown in some jail.

1 Like