The Film Thread

Watched Face Off with Jnr last night (weekly film night) The production company obviously had a few cases of 30mm gold sparkle mine comets left over. Every even remotely crashy thing had the same firework effect. Great shit film though.

1 Like

If you can’t love and enjoy a film like Face/Off, you’re truly dead inside.

“Hallelujah halle halle hallllleeelujahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” as he grabs her arse in the middle of the choir gasping to the heavens

It’s a classic. Andor copied the hell out to the prison though, could have been another shit Disney Starwars abomination, I lose track.

“No more drugs for that man!” Epic line.

I think Cage really tries to change character far better than Travolta. The change in the daughter after the change in dad is a very interesting twist. Brilliant pissed popcorn film.

1 Like

Watched Renfield, good fun

1 Like

I have a 75 inch tv and recently bought a 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos soundbar.

From time to time I enjoy rewatching older movies and the other day it was Terminator 2 - Judgment Day (Directors Cut).

To think that this came out on 1991 - what a masterpiece. Cameron was like 10 years ahead of his time.

4 Likes

I read a piece a while back saying that T2 was the film he tried to make first time around, but had to reluctantly concede he didnt have the tech to pull it off so scaled it back to a single much more straight forward terminator. Im glad he waited because the extra time was well worth it, and the film still looks great

That film was also peak GnR.

4 Likes

You could be mine is my favourite GnR track

2 Likes

When they came out I preferred the yellow Use Your Illusions. Over time I’ve come to appreciate the Blue version, the one with that track and Civil War, to be better one.

if you want a half-decent movie with a really good soundtrack, look up a Denis Leary flick called Judgment Night

1 Like

Beauty of T2 is (like Jurassic Park) the effects stand up to this day. Some of the garbage they shit out now with 30 years’ progress is despicable.

3 Likes

Judas Priest released the song Metal Gods in 1980, four years before the first Terminator, and its lyrics basically wrote the script for Terminator, so imagine how far ahead of their time Judas Priest were! :joy:

3 Likes

One of my guilty pleasures is browsing MTV channels I have on my cable and looking for music blocks that contain videos from 80s and 90s, sometimes even 00s, and hoping for the best (in 95% of cases, I end up being very disappointed). Between countless U2 and nu metal songs, sometimes you’ll find Guns and I specifically ran into You Could Be Mine video last night. My word, they spared no expense… Between that video and Don’t Cry, you could fund Liverpool’s academy for a year!

Great marketing ploy for Terminator 2, though - I don’t know if the film needed it but it’s 80s and 90s grandeur in one. I wish modern blockbusters had that kind of quality.

2 Likes

Well that was an entertaining 120 posts or so.

Why bother watching a film when you can leave a thread be for a while and tune in.

Off to the FSG owners thread for me.

1 Like

The technology is amazing, but its very time consuming to get it right. One of the trends you will see is that the film makers who meticulously plan everything tend to produce films that have VFX, and that isnt because they are using better studios or anything like that. It’s because they dont force the team into the corner of having to do deliver new graphics for hastily rewritten scenes without the timeline to do the job properly.

Did anybody watch Oppenheimer yet (or Barbie for that matter)?

I’m wondering if they’re both just ‘okay’ films which have snowballed under an unintentional but brilliant promotional campaign or are either of them actually good?

My son has seen both. He enjoyed Barbie and thought Oppenheimer was exceptional. However, the marketing for both has been very much led by hype.

I saw Oppenheimer. It’s brilliant.
Cillian Murphy is nailed on for an Oscar.

2 Likes

Just rewatched Lars and the Real Girl. A good film; worth a watch.

Not exactly current, but watched this on Netflix last night and it’s brilliant…

2 Likes

I’ve been going through all the Predator and AVP films on Disney this last week. My top three:

1. Prey
  2. Predator
  3. Predators

The newest film just edges out the original for me. Any other fans of the franchise?

1 Like