The Film Thread

Yep, shes probably one of the most fleshed out characters in the star wars lore, had a great character arc and if theres any female in the star wars universe who deserves her own series, and to be quite powerful in it, its Ashoka Tano.

(maybe Leia Organa, but i digress)

shes far from all powerful and far from a Mary Sue

2 Likes

I often wonder what it must have been like to have been at the cinema when it came out and hear that theme music for the first time…

1 Like

i just wanted to quote you and repeat my previos post…

give it a go, Ashoka Tano is an awesome Character in the star wars lore

shes definately no mary sue, i mean, most of the Jedi in Clone wars are ridiculously untouchable, but the story, and the arc behind her journey from a padawan to someone who walks away from the Jedi and what role it MIGHT play in anakins journey to the dark side…

its actually some of the best star wars content (IN my opinion obviously)

if any of these latest star wars mini series deserved a run, its the Ashoka Tano one.

awesome character.

4 Likes

yeah, im the same with alot of iconic songs…

a bit like the premise of the beatles movie ‘yesterday’…

1 Like

that’s the car I’m currently looking to buy. 1962 Sunbeam Alpine.

2 Likes

Fun fact: Dr No, the first Bond film, was released on exactly the same day as Love Me Do, the first Beatles single.

It seems incredible that two of the most popular icons of British culture should have kicked off at exactly the same time.

1 Like

The Beatles knew when to stop though

2 Likes

Bond could go on forever. Just keep him as a hard drinking womanising super agent and happy days. Why do I think she’s going to become a vegan eco warrior?

Finally found time to watch ‘The Pale Blue Eye’ on Netflix.

Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I found it very enjoyable. Nice to see Dudley Dursley well and truly putting Harry Potter behind him.

2 Likes

Watched Ghostbusters: Afterlife tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily the second best one in the franchise for me.

It felt in some ways like the kind of movie Spielberg would have made back in the 80’s.

1 Like

Who they need to bring back is Ana de Armas, her character stood out in the last Bond movie.

GIF by James Bond 007

2 Likes

I was personally quite disappointed.

I only laughed twice, the plot was essentially a rehash of the first film and if you and the reconning of Egon’s character doesn’t do him any favours. And quite a lot of the film was boring to me. The easter eggs were way too in your face.

I didn’t hate it, it was just disappointing.

I know you will view this as bait, but it genuinely isnt. It is just another counter point to someone who very strongly airs the perspective that his personal preference is indistinguishable from what works and what is good.

So what is that point? That the Little Mermaid has ended up being one of the most successful films of the year and has now made more than Dead Reckoning in the box office, the film you preemptively held up as the example of how Hollywood is successful when it gets away from this woke stuff and gives people what they really want to see.

3 Likes

Case in point, we watched Asteroid City last night and I have no idea what it is what I watched. I go up and down with Anderson and this one was very definitely in the “what TF was that?” category.

1 Like

Babylon - I have no idea what I’ve been watching for the last few hours.

Oh dear… :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m never quite sure with Guardian reviews. Sometimes they will big up turgid dross because they think it’s clever and other times slag off harmless entertainment because it’s not Ingmar Bergman.

I usually enjoy Taika Waititi and Michael Fassbender is good (well, my wife is a fan!). Maybe it’s football films that are the problem. Are there many good ones?

Everybody seems to remember Escape to Victory but it’s a truly appalling film that is fondly remembered because of all the famous footballers in it.

There’s a few that I liked. A Captain’s Tale was a TV movie with Dennis Waterman which is worth a watch. Fever Pitch was well done even if it does invoke a few bad memories. Das Wunder von Bern was excellent. The Damned United - Michael Sheen is brilliant as Cloughie. United was another good one about the Munich air crash. I saw The Keeper (about Bert Trautmann) a while ago and enjoyed that.

Actually, I forgot one and it’s probably the best of the lot: Mike Bassett: England Manager.

1 Like

Just watched it. Agree with this. Based on the Joyce Carol Oates novel, which is supposedly a feminist anthem. The producers and even Joyce Carol Oates herself used the word feminist in describing it. I found it tawdry and so exploitative of Monroe’s life.

1 Like

The problem I have with the Guardian reviews is that they often have two reviews for the same film from two different people and one will give the film 4 stars while the other has it a solid 2.

Eg - Asteroid City review – Wes Anderson’s 1950s sci-fi is an exhilarating triumph of pure style | Wes Anderson | The Guardian

vs

I guess all this highlights is that reviews are ultimately just opinions, but there is an expectation that when you’re reviewing at a ‘published in the Guardian’ level than you would be able to do so with a bit more nuance than they seem to have.

If I’m going to look at reviews, I like to use Letterboxd where the score is an average from everyone who has left a rating and there is more of a sense of humour about things than something like Rotten Tomatoes which seems more toxic.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this quite a bit. The Guardian website is actually two publications (well, technically 3) The Guardian being the weekly paper and The Observer the weighty Sunday tome. They have been under the same ownership for 30 years but they do keep a separate identity.

This means that they have different reviews and they can vary. The best bet is to try and find a reviewer which largely aligns to you own tastes. I do like Mark Kermode (who gave the less enthusiastic review for The Observer); Robbie Collin, who writes for the Telegraph and used to do reviews on Moviejuice on Scottish TV; also Danny Leigh and Antonia Quirke, who were Film programme contributors.

In fact, the one I miss from the Film programme is Jonathan Ross who seemed to be a reliable guide but also tried to see who the film was aimed for. For example, if it was a family film, he would take his kids along to see if they enjoyed it or not.

I noticed that BBC News have now stopped their weekly film review slot. There is so much film and TV being produced now that we actually need a reliable review and curation programme. Unfortunately what we seem to get is more paid for promotion.

1 Like