The Film Thread

Taika Waititi is all I needed to hear. I know he has his fans, but his films are not for me and his humour even less.

I really like “Boy” and I’m a great fan of “Reservation Dogs”.

Haven’t seen “JoJo Rabbit” yet, but would like to.

I liked Jojo Rabbit.

Yeah, everyone seems to like it. I thought it was mediocre and kinda dumb. :man_shrugging:
Had this discussion before about his films. I guess he’s just not my cup of tea.

I liked perhaps the first half of Thor: Ragnarok…

What We Do In the Shadows was an amazing film. It introduced me to Waititi and Jemaine Clement, who are both really talented actors. As a writer/director, though, I thought that Waititi’s subsequent films were lacking in something, I found them uneven and bland and I doubt I’ll watch any of them again.

1 Like

You don’t know Flight of the Conchords?
One of my favourite series of all time…

And his brilliant debut…

5 Likes

Probably the best Marvel movie

1 Like

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is good too

1 Like

Flight of the concords is brilliant. As is what we do in the shadows. Both well worth a watch (imho).

3 Likes

Just saw the last released episode of Ahsoka. I quite like how this series is shaping up.

Don’t you find the name problematic? Too close to Ashoka.

1 Like

Nope. Saw the clone wars animated series as well as rebels. So pretty used to the name.

Also star wars did incorporate a lot of Hinduism based principles including names, themes etc before as well.

Maybe I am biased due to the Liverpool connection, but I have fond memories of this film (Will) although admittingly not seen it for a few years now.

Will (2011) - IMDb

I’m not sure how I missed that. It looks like a pretty decent cast as well.

I’ve never heard the name before this series.

Ashoka was an important real life character from Indian history.

Using basically the same name implies some connection which doesn’t seem to be there.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that the Star Wars rebel symbol also has a passing resemblance to the Sikh Khanda symbol. I don’t know whether that was intentional or if it was just a coincidence. George Lucas originally pulled ideas far and wide for the film so it’s entirely possible that he just thought something like it might be appropriate.

It’s like having a character called Aflred the Great.

I must admit that when I saw Ahsoka advertised I wondered whether it was a historical drama!

1 Like

Greyhound disappointed me.

Nowhere near as good as Captain Phillips, turbulence meant you struggled to hear half the things being said and the ending didn’t give that tingling emotional satisfaction it was built to create as it failed to create any real tension.