The Film Thread

We’ve just watched “No One Will Save You” on Disney+ and was pleasantly surprised at an unusual film.

It’s an alien invasion Sci-Fi/horror film with a lot of nods to other films in its genre but with practically no dialogue.

It doesn’t seem to have particularly good reviews but I liked it. It’s all in the tension and cinematography.

I see there’s a new version of The Exorcist coming out.
Watched the original just a couple of nights ago at work.

I remember watching it in the late cinema showing in around 1980 with my then girlfriend.
Walked her home about 0100, then had to walk home to my house which was about 2 miles away.

I swear to god I broke Bannisters record that night.

Seriously scary shit for a 1973 movie.

3 Likes

The Exorcist was not scary.

People were brainwashed into thinking that it was scary.

1 Like

Alright for you to say.
I was 16 when I watched it, you were probably about 55

1 Like

Horror is often psychological, and the first part of that is conditioning.

2 Likes

I believe it is a direct sequel to the original rather than a remake as such.

This was the first X rated film I saw at the cinema. I thought it was pretty intense and quite thought provoking for a horror. I watched it with two mates, one of whom was really freaked out by it.

The odd thing was, we didn’t even go out to see it. We were meant to watch the Death Wish film but the bus was late and it had already started by the time we got there.

I tried explaining the Krankies to an American once: There’s this couple, a Scottish bloke who has a very small wife.He dresses her up as a schoolboy and then tells her off for being naughty. Yes, I know it sounds suspect, but that’s what passes for children’s entertainment in Scotland. Either that or cheery stories about forcibly ejecting elderly relatives from public transport.

1 Like

That’s how I recall it too.

I thought it was Jimmy Clitheroe acting out the role first time I saw The Krankies :0)

1 Like

That’s basically where they got the act from. I’m not sure when they started because Clitheroe died in the early 70s.

1 Like

Haunted Mansion latest version. Utterly dreadful if taken as a serious film. However if you’re a massive Disneyland fan (hi) you’ll absolutely love it :slight_smile: Deliciously awfully brilliant.

I read a piece the other day about good Halloween films you might not have heard of and saw one listed called the invitation. I found it on Netflix last night and thought it was fucking terrible, essentially unwatchable.

It was the wrong Invitation :joy:

I actually didn’t know that the other one existed! The film of that name from 2015 was really, really good and unsettling.

Yeah, that’s the one I was trying to watch. I got an hour in and said to myself “weird they promoted this as staring Michiel Huisman and he hasnt been seen yet”

The one I watched turned out to be an awful retelling of dracula. Just without the sexual tension and horror. If a 14 year old turned it in for an assignment in their english comp class they’d get a B

Cocaine Bear :rofl: :rofl:

No idea what in the palaving blue hell I just watched but other than a bear being in the woods, pretty sure none of this tripe rings true and starting to think it was Banks who was the one on coke.

And smile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vacuous drivel that merely serves to brainwash children into thinking that the world is a fun place and to distract adults from the unpleasantness of reality.

1 Like

Just watched The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (Roald Dahl adaptation, decent cast!)

Not what I was expecting, having read the book more than once. May have to watch it again as I suspect there’s a lot more to it than you can take in at first viewing. Dialogue is fairly true to the story and very quickly delivered. Almost distracting

1 Like

Have you watched any Ghibli movies!!!

Drove a Ghibli once?