The Film Thread

studio ghibli GIF

1 Like

Have you watched The Wind Rises?

No, I don’t think I have. Watched a lot of the other stuff though

2 Likes

Yes, and really looking forward to

2 Likes

Going to see ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ tomorrow. Just hope my butt can make it through 3 & 1/2 hours without falling asleep!

Some background reading…

3 Likes

Some of the skeletons that are coming out of the closet are absolutely shameful.

Not saying it will, but if it goes on to clear up at the Oscars I will have no complaints.

Grave of the fireflies is one of the best movies I have seen.

start grave GIF

It’s one Studio Ghibli movie I won’t let my kids watch

4 Likes

I have heard about it so much. It’s not available on Netflix in this region. You can try The Wind Rises.

I pretty much only watch a handful of them after being scarred for life seeing Pom Poko.

Mankind fucking over mankind.

What a surprise

I watched the right version this weekend. It was so much better

1 Like

Don’t have much time atm, but finally got to watch Licorice Pizza last night, P.T. Anderson’s latest film.
Really liked it. No idea why this didn’t get more attention, too arty or maybe people were irritated by the teenage boy and the 25 yr old woman?

1 Like

They’d really hate Harold and Maude, then.

1 Like

With all the discussion on movies with depth, I decided to join in and watch the latest Saw movie, Saw X. Thought it’s better than I thought it would be

The difference is Harold was a consenting adult.

1 Like

I still haven’t seen it or The Phantom Thread - the reason behind it is me finally watching The Master and Inherent Vice last summer in the space of three days, which left my mind completely scrambled. The Master might be a brilliantly acted and extremely well executed film but one that failed to elicit even a tiny bit of emotion from me. Inherent Vice was interesting but really difficult to follow because of all the intertwined stories. I love his previous films, though, they’re brilliant.

1 Like

Aye, I see your point about those films, although I quite liked them.
Licorice Pizza is very light-hearted, breezy for a P.T. Anderson film though, not heavy watching.

We watched Fair Play last night and I dont know what to make of it. It was good, but it felt like there was no pay off. The big dramatic thing the building tension was pointing to happened but then the film just didnt do anything with it. It felt like it was an act too short.