The Film Thread

Probably my favourite film that.

I’m a complete sucker for many things in that film including the style of cinematography etc.
Throw in some little teasing points, questions, the story arc and of course going sci fi I’m sold. Let’s not forget soundtrack either.

Another one that kind of gets me in a similar vein is Drive. It was on TV the other night. Too late for my COVID head to handle.

That was the thing that the Fritz Lang documentary picked up on and you can really see obvious nods to films like “M” in there.

Actually, it’s one thing that seems to be lost in modern cinema. They just CGI the hell out of everything and you don’t get something that actually looks beautiful.

1 Like

Yeah, doing a bit photography I have a thing about light and colour. I get sucked in pretty easily with films that really nail that. Even Bladerunner 2049 got me on that side. It’s use of colour etc. was very clever. Another one in that regard I guess is Hero (Jet li).

1 Like

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched that film. If there’s one film I could see myself watching alone in a theatre after buying all the tickets just for myself, it’s this one. It’s at least on par with the original, at least in my opinion.

2 Likes

Couldn’t get through much of that movie. Maybe it’s the lead actor who I’m not much of a fan of.

I think that a lot of people didn’t like the original when it came out but after revisiting it, they loved it. Perhaps that will be the case with you as well! Gosling is a fine actor but I think he excels in role which don’t require many lines from him, such as Blade Runner 2049 and Drive (that film was amazing, if excessively violent at times).

1 Like

Maybe. I’ll probably give it another go sometime.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with Drive though. The only film I have enjoyed with Gosling was Nice Guys, but that is probably because I am a huge fan of Shane Black. I’ve got the original ‘Driver’ movie (from the 70’s with Ryan O’Neal) recorded I’ve yet to watch. Perhaps I may go back to Drive after seeing that.

I’ve just seen that Gosling is doing a movie of one of my favourite shows when I was a kid Fall Guy, which is due out. I struggle to see him as the Colt Severs character, perhaps he will surprise me there too.

Fracture - with Gosling and Hopkins was a good film

1 Like

Not quite as good as the original for me. It’s been filmed far too late for the storyline to have the punch that it needed. Plus I’m not a huge fan of Jared Leto.

Visually though I thought it was brilliant, how the colours varied on what was happening to Gosling’s character. Very clever.

1 Like

I accept that, of course, but I actually like how unhinged Leto can be as an actor, I thought he portrayed Wallace quite well. Visually, though… The film is really something else. The Las Vegas scenes especially… I’m a sucker for post-apocaliptic open world shots.

As an aside, I remembered another Gosling performance that I absolutely loved, even if the film itself can be polarising - the film in question is Stay. The cast is excellent, Bob Hoskins is a star, God rest his soul.

I have a real soft spot for him. I think he has a bit of the McConaugheys about him in that he is far more talented and interesting an actor/artist than is commonly perceived simply because he’s too handsome to take seriously. He hasn’t had too much success as a leading man (Prefontaine is good, but was small, and Requiem for a Dream was a success, but kind of niche), but he’s got a really solid resume of well played supporting characters.

I think this video is a great example…has a side gig as the front man of a boring “rock” group that reinforces perceptions about him being a man whose career is based on leveraging his pretty face, and then delivers a performance that literally stops people in their tracks

1 Like

It was re-edited later but I think the main problem was marketing. It was released around the same time as ET and because that was such a hit the cinemas didn’t think there was room for another Sci Fi film.

The Secret of NIMH also suffered because they thought they didn’t need another family film.

It gained a following from the home video market which eventually lead to the director’s cut being re-released at the cinema.

Lots of classics do poorly in the cinema, especially ones that have some complexity to them. I think Shawshank is a great example of that. It lost money in a really disappointing theatrical run and went on to become one of Blockbuster’s biggest hits ever.

2 Likes

I still love watching this movie.

1 Like

So I had forgotten about Blade Runner, and never watched it. Am at the final scene, what a fascinating film

1 Like

So I’ve just watched Sisu.

What an utterly ridiculous but entertaining film that was. Die hard in the wilderness with Nazis that have Storm trooper like aim.

Colour pallettes again, subdued blues and greens but plenty of highlighted oranges, browns and yellows.

1 Like

quiet week at work. monitoring while I watch Sicario. never seen this.

There was a film I remember loving as a kid, but remember absolutely nothing about the film itself. I inadvertently found it last night while searching for something else - the Sword and the Sorcerer. Wow it was fucking shit. But most offensive of all was it was barely even about a sword or a even a sorcerer. It would be like calling Rocky “budgie” because Adrian worked in a petshop that had birds.

1 Like

This is an awesome movie. Very heavy though.

it was. have switched gears today, on to Ocean’s Twelve. maybe the world Jr hockey championships. CAN plays SWE today in an hour