The Film Thread

If I were a studio boss in America I would be hauling all my staff in early in the new year, and demanding to know how Toho can make Godzilla Minus 1 for £15m, but it takes an American studio £200m to make something that doesn’t look anywhere near as good.

That film was incredible. It really should be sparking a bloodbath in Hollywood.

3 Likes

is it really that good? thinking about taking Jr to see it

Yes, it’s brilliant. But some of the themes might go over juniors head, depending how old he is, and Godzilla isn’t in it that much - a bit like Jaws, in that it’s the anticipation of the monster rather than the monster itself.

It’s essentially a study of postwar Japanese nuclear shock, with a central character trying to rebuild his life suffering from survivors guilt. Some of the ideas are also pretty alien to western sensibilities - like how the character is routinely shunned and shamed by characters who see him surviving his kamikaze mission as dishourable.

Godzilla himself is a return to the first iteration of the character. This isn’t a defender of humans, or elemental balance, or king of the monsters. It’s destruction, chaos and annihilation given form. It’s coming, and there is nothing you can do.

3 Likes

Glad I didn’t see this post earlier. Took the family to watch it tonight. Excellent film.

1 Like

halfway through. yep, totally rediculous yet entertaining

Note the colour palette in it.

1 Like

absolutely. reminds me of Book of Eli with Denzel. very sombre palette.

I found it very warming (oranges, etc.) rather than sombre and it has been very much in vogue over the last few years. That kind of went against what you’d expect from a Finnish landscape, or is that my poor knowledge of the country being exposed?
For those interested there’s a photographer on Instgram called Shortstache that’s basically built his reputation with a similar style.

Creed 3

Saw a lot of bad reviews how it sucked and was cheaply made etc. For me it was just as good and entertaining as the other 2. The story is a compelling one, the backstory of his former childhood friend is told with great detail, the way it flicks between his professional and personal life is done very well and the ending, whilst predictable with the whole recapture of his title and settling any differences with his old mate, sets it up nicely for a 4th installment.

2 Likes

I stoped after Rocky 2 …

Watching/Trying to watch Rebel Moon - not great. Seems a mix between Magnificent 7, Fire Fly and Star Wars and does none of them at all well…

2 Likes

I love MBJ, but made a conscious stand against this film given how they cut Sly out.

Yeah, same here. I watched this yesterday. Got me thinking about Battle Beyond the Stars/ Seven Samurai too…

Perhaps theres loads of the first one deliberately left on the cutting room floor but i thought it stupid the ease at which the hero finds/ recruits the team…

The plots are too obvious and I stopped watching it about 3/4 of the way through - frankly I’m not likely to finish it.

Is the dead princess actually the water carrier girl in the village? Just curious?

Don’t think so. Just looked like one to the robot as far as i remember.

At what point do people just accept that Zack Snyder is just shit?

I dont know I’ve seen anyone else get away with such long run of shit films, both commercials failures and critically panned, while still having such a loud fan base (who always find a way to blame someone else for the film being shit and imaging how good the Snyder cut would be)

3 Likes

I watch Rubicon last night which is currently available on Amazon prime UK. Not great but okish but damn I can’t help think they really screwed up an opportunity with it.

The storyline is based on a crazy moral dilemma which really could and should have been developed more. Shame but great name for the film.

Reptile on Netflix staring Benicio del Toro

Excellent detective thriller, bit of a slow burner and a little bleak, but decent who dunnit.

Is it a film or a tv series?

Ah, my bad. Wrong thread.