The Film Thread

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Hope your wife doesn’t mind a few expletives.! :0)

1 Like

I was going to make the same recommendation. I’m a big Steve Martin fan but don’t enjoy a lot of his movies that much. This I absolutely love. Another great John Candy performance too.

Another suggestion would be the Three Amigos - Not a great film but has two of the main cast from OMITB - and I’m sure they drop references to it in the show?

One Steve Martin film I’ve always loved was Roxanne which was a modern day take on the Cyrano de Bergerac. It seems to be one of those that has been largely forgotten.

2 Likes

A really great movie (or so I remember it as) I watched when I was at university was GATACA.

I loved it and remember watching it a couple of times. It was dark, pushed back against fatalism and seemed to combine aspects of Brave New World and 1984 - while also riding the wave of the ensuing revolution in molecular/cellular biology. As such I recently recommended it to a (much) younger colleague at work and his reaction to watching it was meh… His take was that is just a simple tale of fight against adversity…

I felt a bit defeated by his judgement - am I so completely out of touch and just, well, old???

2 Likes

Your friend is a simpleton. It’s a wonderful film.

3 Likes

I think what made GATACA really tick is that its basic premise was very plausible. You can see how, in current society, money and privilege can buy advantage to the children of the rich. It’s a fairly short jump to see that this could be extended to designer babies.

1 Like

Some great Steve Martin suggestions coming in but haven’t seen anyone recommend Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid or The Jerk. Both really good but very different roles allowing Martin to showcase his talents.

1 Like

Finally got to see ‘The Holdovers’.

Just as good as I was hoping. Very funny and poignant.

Mrs is watching a new show with Steve Martin and his buddy Martin Short called “Only Murders in the Building”. I watched a bit of it, the decor in the sets are pretty cool but it’s not my kind of show.

Love that show. Great chemistry between Steve Martin and Martin Short.

The Man With Two Brains for me. It’s really sad that he stopped being funny, but he made some good movies whilst he was.

I do find the Barbie nominations a bit odd, at the very least would have expected Greta Gerwig to have been included. America Ferrera getting a best supporting actress nod for essentially what was one monologue is a strange choice.

Regardless, would expect Oppenheimer to sweep up pretty much everywhere (though for me Poor Things was the better film).

May I just take a moment to point out I was not looking for Steve Martin recommendations. She wouldnt even watch the Steve Martin film with me that I recommended she watch :joy:

I can buy Robbie not getting one. She fit the part very well, but she didnt really have to do much with the role other than be born to play it. Or at least I can buy people making that argument.

Gerwig not getting one for directing when the film could have been an absolute disaster in different hands is indefinsible.

1 Like

I watched it at the cinema over the weekend, really enjoyed it, easy watching

1 Like

Speaking of Holdovers, I rewatched Sideways recently. A good friend of mine is in the wine business and while sharing a bottle of merlot with him the other week he got on a kick of how everyone misunderstands that film. What everyone remembers from it is Paul Giamatti being a wine snob and railing against Merlot. The common interpretation is he thinks it’s bad wine and that made casual drinkers not want to drink it anymore and contributed to a crash in the US merlot market. This is precisely what I remembered from the film.

His take was that Giamatti never criticizes merlot as a wine. In fact the classic bottle of wine he has been saving for a special occasion, the one he cracks open at the end as a demonstration that he finally got the stick out of his arse, is a merlot. The point then was that merlot was his ex wife’s favourite wine, someone whose palette he really respected, and his aversion to merlot was based on not wanting to drink something that makes him think of the ex wife he still pines for while trying to fuck the waitress.

One, the film is still funny is fuck. Two, Giamatti somehow looked the 20 years younger that he actually was then while still somehow looking like a middle aged bloke…he’s Hollywood’s Hasbulla. Three, I think my friend was right.

3 Likes

It’s a wonderful film. The scene where they purposely crash the car is eye wateringly funny.

I want to rewatch About Schmidt and Nebraska now too.

That’s not strictly true. Cheval Blanc, the wine in question, contains some Merlot but is predominantly Cabernet Franc.

1 Like