The Film Thread

It’s a good movie. You should follow it up with Adam Driver starrer The Report. Kind of a similar premise. Lower level government employee trying to hold the powers responsible.

2 Likes

Apparently not

There’s been a lot of speculation that Lashana Lynch’s No Time To Die character, MI6 agent Nomi, would be Bond’s replacement as 007 – and now the star herself has confirmed the news.

What will they call the franchise now, if James Bond is no more?

1 Like

Finished? :thinking:

3 Likes

James Bonded?
James Gone?

2 Likes

Probably call it 007: [subtitle] moving forward.

1 Like

Tbh, I thought we already knew that she was going to be 007, at least for this film, I think it’s in the trailer isn’t it? Don’t think it means that James Bond is being written out though.

1 Like

Jane Bond… :wink:

1 Like

I thought the idea was that Lashana Lynch will be 007 in the next movie but the new James Bond will be introduced in future films. Possibly hinting that “James Bond” will be a younger actor who eventually takes over the 007 tag when Lynch’s character dies.

1 Like

That was my impression, however the tone of the Radio Times article suggested (maybe erroneously) that she was to be Bond’s permanent replacement.

Maybe it’s just how they wanted to spin the story, but it’s not as though Hollywood doesn’t have previous form. :thinking:

1 Like

Is this going the same way as Star Wars?

I hope not.

3 Likes

This is actually insulting to us women. Can’t you back an existing female character or create a new one, instead of just flipping the genitals. As someone who works in a production house, I know what drives these decisions. The old saying, ‘Any publicity is good publicity.’ Predictably any criticism of this move will be labelled as misogynistic, and the studio will hope that the resulting controversy will create a hype.

Apparently that’s considered less riskier than backing hardworking writers who are willing to come up with new ideas.

If not a new one, then I would rather prefer the spy in my profile picture, Ilsa Faust or even Melissa McCarthy’s character from the movie Spy. Make more movies around them.

EDIT : I know that it’s her being 007 for a little while, before replacing her with a younger man, but this is still lazy writing. I won’t be surprised if the studio continues with her if this clicks. It’s always been about grabbing eyeballs and this does just that. Nothing creative about it.

2 Likes

You were saying,

7 Likes

Jeeeeeeze… Is that a selfie…??

Only Kidding… Only Kidding… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I agree but if they do the Star Wars thing they will also kill the franchise and possibly that poor actress’s career as well.

There seems to be this really uncomfortable switch to force women into lead roles (which is fine) but they then make them utterly invincible and faultless when they do this. Again see Star Wars where Rey is all of a sudden the most powerful Jedi ever, never loses a fight, a great pilot etc. etc. having never set foot off a desert planet and received practically zero Jedi training. Same with Captain Marvel.

It leads to really poor stories with absolutely zero character ark. Basically, as a writer you have nowhere to go with the character. There’s nowhere to grow.

Bond has loads of faults and is pretty broken and that is part of the attraction. There’s loads you can pick at despite him being a blunt instrument.
I’d be all for a female OO agent. No issue there but not as a replacement. I think it’s an insult to the original books.

2 Likes

I think its a great idea to have a woman play 007.
It worked really well for Ghostbusters.

The Jason Bourne films really shook the tongue-in-cheek Hawaiian Shirt James Bond approach… Unfortunately, the world has become a really dark and sinister place in the last few decades and that needed to be reflective and included for modern day storylines…
I am all for creating a realistic ‘Jane Bond’ lead role character… but to do it justice, and a further acknowledgment to the ‘real life’ heroines that operate beyond their borders… Give her, her own identity and reference number… Double one seven 117 maybe…
Hey, but what do I know eh…!

2 Likes

I’d be all for that, just don’t make her perfect and superior to all around her from day 1. Give her a chink in the armor that reveals another side or something. Give her a direction.

Even with Bourne you had a super human but mentally he was a bit screwed and that’s what made it work. All the best characters in stories have some weakness / defect which then allows that character to grow or give them some kind of direction.

Characters now are the finished article from the moment the film starts and that just makes them dull and boring.

The Joker film is an amazing example of character development (or decent in this case). That is one reason why that film is so amazing and hits so hard. That is probably the best film I’ve seen in a while.

2 Likes

Star Wars is crap anyway, who cares…

3 Likes

They made a sequel with 3 women as the lead actors.
It bombed.

2 Likes