The Film Thread

I have a new worst movie of the year so far, ousting Marmaduke from the top spot.

‘The Commando’ on iMdb freevee channel. It stars Mickey Rourke’s face and that guy from Spawn and is fucking abysmal.

Looked it up - nobody ever mentioned Stand by me on TAN.

What a shame River Phoenix passed away so young.

2 Likes

I saw ‘Fall’ last night. I knew from the trailer that my testicles were going to be bunched up throughout, (I’m terrified of heights), but it’s got a lot more going for it than just that. Nearly all of it takes place in one small location and there are only two people in it for most of the flick, but it doesn’t feel fleshed-out, or rely on jump scares to liven up the 107 minutes of tension. It’s an instant cult classic IMO. Loved it!

Yet another Steven King story

1 Like

One movie I’ve never heard anyone ever talking about which I watched last night is Brubaker with Robert Redford.

It’s a prison drama, fictional but based loosely on real events. Also has Morgan Freeman, Big Ed Hurley from Twin Peaks, Cochise from The Warriors, Kananga from James Bond and apparently Nicolas Cage somewhere in the background.

It’s not life changing or anything, but a lot better than some of the muck from the late 70s/early 80s that are held up as classics.

1 Like

Goonies is better :rofl:

the goonies GIF

I’m a grown ass man, but still getting emotional watching Brendan Fraser getting all the love and plaudits that he deserves.

1 Like

The show itself was only so so, but Frasier was brilliant as a PI in Trust, that show about the Getty heir’s kidnapping in Italy.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, after the news about the queen today I did almost watch Naked Gun again.

2 Likes

These recommendations probably better than London Has Fallen…

1 Like
4 Likes

False Positive

Weird as fuck, and disgusting.

Bond was surely about a patriotic and cultured tough guy, driving fast cars, and sleeping with beautiful women in exotic locations. There was no “message” or “statement” in a Bond film - just escapism.

He was a fantasy character - everyone wanted to be Bond.

I have read most of Flemmings Bond books - I for one would like the character to remain true to them - or alternatively as someone suggested, morph the whole thing into something else.

2 Likes

LOL, finally watched it last night and couldn’t describe it any better. It felt the like whole film was done so Cooper get get industry cred for his final scene.

1 Like

So I watched Matrix resurrections last night.

Urm… It started ok, managing to recapture a little of the mystique that made the first so so good. Basically you wanted to know how Reaves was still or back alive etc. Then the film returned to the crap that made the second and third films so bad. The mystery solved in a heartbeat and then let’s kick lumps out of each other.

Being honest I regret paying to watch it much like I regret buying the second and third films on DVD way back. The writer director just lose sight of what made the first film so fantastic consistently.

2 Likes

Under the Skin - a load of pretentious garbage.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Under the Skin. In my current top 5 of 2013. Scarlett Johansson was great in it.

Season 1 What GIF by Paramount+

1 Like