The Film Thread

I thought Central Intelligence was good

1 Like

Aye, he has done lots of enjoyable stuff, he just has a surprisingly limited record at the box office for a film star of that level of general popularity. Apparently the Jumanji films are his biggest successes outside of the F&F franchise

1 Like

If you have a few free hours, Things to do in Denver When you’re Dead is a brilliant use of time. Andy Garcia and Christopher Walken chewing the scenery.

2 Likes

Most of his movies are watchable. Jumanji, jungle cruise, baywatch, rampage, red notice, are all tolerable pure entertainment. No massive hits, but no big misses either. You know what you’re getting before the movie starts.

1 Like

If you want someone to watch for high quality material of modern Hollywood then Jake Gylenhaal is your man, has many great films…very versatile roles too.

Ranging ffom Nightcrawler (Photographer/Journalist) to Southpaw (Boxer) to Stronger (Physical disability) to Demolition (businessman) and probably his best 1 yet in Prisoners (detective).

2 Likes

Yeah; you rarely see a bad film that Gyllenhaal is in.

1 Like

Thought Gylenhaal was brilliant in Spiderman Far from Home and Jarhead.

1 Like

I loved Nightcrawler and Prisoners.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the film but Zodiac is very good as well.

2 Likes

Just looking through his other work and remembered watching him in The Guilty, camera being on him throughout the whole film whilst he’s trying to calm this women down on the other end of the line. Very fascinating…can’t believe I forgot about that 1.

If that’s still around on Netflix I’m not sure, check it out.

Everest - Another high quality film, cried for days on end after watching that 1…think he was 1 of the first to die in that as well.

not my cuppa tea.

as to Dwayne Johnson, clearly Moana was his best. :laughing:

I like him as a person. Seems genuine and tries to help people achieve their best through positive support and direction

1 Like

Gyllenhaal exceptional talent :+1:

Still haven’t watched Brokeback Mountain after a video review put me off

1 Like

I still can’t tell who my single favourite actor is but Gyllenhaal is the one whose films I’ve watched the most. If I had to pick three of his performances… Enemy, Nightcrawler and Nocturnal Animals are my personal favourite.

2 Likes

Which one?

1 Like

I watched Ambulance last week, and while it was a terrible film, JG was pretty good in it. He does unhinged very well.

1 Like

Does he do it better than Russel Crowe does?

Nightcrawler is so creepy. I wanted to punch that creep.

Having a Jnr in the house, we watch and have seen pretty much every kids film in the last 15 years. Granted I’m a massive Disney fan anyway. Loved Enchanted when it came out. Twee as anything but still good fun. So last night we all sat down to watch Disenchanted. I can honestly recommend watching your balls get sewn back up after a vasectomy over that steaming pile of shite. Utterly awful.

That is a super movie. So good that Kevin Hart has been trying to recreate that chemistry in a lot of his movies with other actors.

As for The Rock. Seems genuinely likeable and enjoys what he does. Thought his first Jumanji movie was really good. We watched Black Adam a couple of weeks back with little uns and we all had fun. It isn’t The Dark Knight trilogy or anything but it’s no Batman v Superman rubbish.

Nocturnal Animals is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Trying very hard to figure out who would have been worse, Mel or Sly.

Think I’ll go Mel, but FMD…what a bullet-dodge that is…

1 Like