The Film Thread

And on The Rock…here he is talking about his approach to life…

The lack of the traditional old school action movie star is his biggest reason.

2 Likes

What’s so funny to those other two blokes?

Who are they by the way?

Man on Fire :+1:

Equalizer :+1:

1 Like

Christmas Movie ahoy!

Acclaimed English actor Gary Oldman has announced he will probably retire from acting after completing his current project, spy drama “Slow Horses”

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Oldman says “I’ve had an enviable career, but careers wane, and I do have other things that interest me outside of acting. When you’re young, you think you’re going to get round to doing all of them — read that book — then the years go by…I’m 65 next year; 70 is around the corner. I don’t want to be active when I’m 80. I’d be very happy and honoured and privileged to go out as Jackson Lamb [his character in Slow Horses] — and then hang it up.”

Oldman is known for his over the top acting style both on the stage and in cinema, Oldman, playing such roles as Lee Harvey Oswald in “JFK” (1991) and Ivan Korshunov in “Air Force One” (1997). Perhaps two of Gary Oldman’s most well known roles are Sirius Black in the ‘Harry Potter’ film franchise and, for us Bat-fans, James Gordon in Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight Trilogy’: “Batman Begins” (2005), “The Dark Knight” (2008) and “The Dark Knight Rises” (2012). On duty the night of the murder of young Bruce Wayne’s parents, GCPD officer James Gordon gained an immediate bond between both Bruce and his future persona of the Batman, working with him to stop the corruption in Gotham City.

Despite Oldman’s acting history as the villain in his films, David S. Goyer saw Oldman visually similar to Commissioner Gordon in Frank Miller’s “Batman: Year One” and Christopher Nolan wanted to see Oldman’s refreshing take on the good guy for once. In an interview, Oldman reflects on his role of Gordon: “I embody the themes of the movie which are the values of family, courage and compassion and a sense of right and wrong, good and bad and justice”. We thank Mr. Oldman for bringing to life one of the most iconic figures in Batman’s 83 year mythology. :v:t4::black_heart::bat::man_police_officer:t2::movie_camera:

3 Likes

Fantastic actor. His performance as Stansfield in Leon is absolutely outstanding.

5 Likes

I can’t remember another single-word quote from a film that I’d immediately associate with the actor who spoke it - aside from: “EEEEVERYOOOOOONE!!!” Immense actor, simply immense.

1 Like

I downloaded this whole series of films when they came out about 20 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Bv5hzuwvU

I may have to get this version…

4 Likes

I liked him as Zorg in Fifth Element too.

1 Like

1 Like

Indy 5 where Phoebe Waller Bridge takes over from the greatest adventure character in history. No agenda here, no siree.

Gary Oldman?

Can’t say I’ve seen him in too much but absolute loved him as the Russian maniac in one of my all time favourites - Air Force 1.

Hitman’s Bodyguard where again I think he played a Russian crime leader and he gets kicked off that 300ft building by Jackson.

Also from lesser films like Man Down which had me welling up by the end of it, where he plays as an American commander & The Women in the Window where he’s trying to fuck with Amy Adam’s head over something she may or may not have witnessed.

& if no one’s seen The Laundromat yet go see it, he has one of the best scenes in the entire movie with Banderas.

Probably will go down as 1 of the best English actors of all time.

1 Like

Interesting this coming so soon after Bob Iger returned to Disney. There was lots of internal discontent over the way Chapek was running things, but a big big part of it was how much money they lost on their streaming platform, of which Disney show expenses were a huge part and for little perceived benefit.

1 Like

Replacing almost every single man with a strong woman in the M she U possibly has something to do with it.

Tinker Taylor
Harry Potter
Batman Begins / Dark Knight / Dark Knight Rises
Book of Eli - GREAT MOVIE
Hannibal
True Romance

pretty interesting filmography for a supporting actor in near all of those roles

3 Likes

Not seem any of them bar the Batmans, would never watch Harry Potter.

I actually think one of his best work was in the lead of Darkest Hour, he carried that on his back.

Hunter Killer as well, didn’t quite realise how many times he’s played a Russian leader but I think the quality he showed in AF1 set up for the others that followed.

1 Like

You do realize that Iger was responsible for the purchase of Lucas films and her appointment and was in charge of Disney until as recently as 2020?