The Film Thread

My ROFL over the Christmas period is always this guy…

https://youtu.be/khCYegdgo9A

Does your dog bite?

Absolutely the greatest comedy line in film history.

…I thought i was going to pass wind… and I was wrong…

I like Tubi for older stuff. Watched The Law (1959) with Marcello Mastroianni and Gina Lollobrigida. Not a great film but an interesting watch. Shot in French, and the two Italian stars speak French in the film. Love the Tubi.

1 Like

If you’re ok with the add supported services try Pluto. It’s viacom’s/Paramount’s service and is considered far and away the market leader in that space (ignoring Youtube).

Paramount (formerly Viacom) is suffering really badly in the for fee service sector and there is lots of industry talk that the only way for them to survive is to merge with Comcast. Both are struggling (see peacock) with their respective football packages being one of the only successful things on either platform. Egos might (probably will) get in the way, but most analysts think Viacom/Paramount’s best shot is to sell off most of themselves to Comcast for them to bolster their service, but do so in a way they can retain their rights, or even expand them, on the ad supported service and turn that into their primary business. The thing is that is kind of like asking the CEO of Alfa Romeo to turn his company in Kia so like I said, egos will likely get in the way. Either way, keep an eye out for Pluto expanding its offering as its just about the only succesful thing Paramount has going for itself these days.

2 Likes

Deep Water

I love Ben Affleck but had no idea he had a mini fling with his co star in this (the lucky bastard), relationship between the 2 in the film is … fascinating, certainly not a 2 way thing. A wife who has love affairs in front of her husband after finding him “boring” and becomes jealous and takes his rage out on the men.

@Roydom what does this 1 remind you of?

@deneb How many films you on for the year so far, I will rival you for head to head ^^

What does this remind me of?

There’s that one with Richard Gere, Dial M for Murder I think it’s called.

@The-AllMightyReds unless of course you know my secret! :zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

The Boogeyman knows everyone’s secrets.

No matter how deep or dark :scream:

5 and a half so far, but I’m not continuing my efforts from last year. I had to sacrifice a lot of reading time, so I’m keen to get back in the habit.

Which Boogeyman is that? There’s a few movies by that title.

Went through 4 movies yesterday with the clan.

The Naked Gun 1 & 2.5. The Dark Knight. Then finished off with Mad Max: Fury Road.

Naked Gun still has some quality comedy even after all these years. The little looks Leslie Nielsen gives are genius.

Popping on the original Candyman now. Another classic. You can shove your remake up your hole.

2 Likes

Daniel Craig is one of my man crushes, but Glass Onion is just rewarmed Agatha Christie. To riff off @cynicaloldgit , that accent must be why Connery would give any accent you wanted so long as it was Scottish. Reminded me of Fantasy Island. Has been actors thrown onto an island with a script none of them had seen before and for which they will never forgive their agents. Two stars.

1 Like

This. It was a Poirot story if I remember correctly.

1 Like

is it any wonder cinemas are having financial difficulties…I’m a big Chevy Chase fan and loved the original Fletch movies. Found out last year that Jon Hamm is doing a new Fletch film, so have been waiting for news of when it is to come out.

Just saw the original Fletch movie is coming to Netflix this month which prompted me to look online as to what was happening with the new one and saw that it was in Cinemas last September?

1 Like

Love the original. Had no idea. Just checked. $20M budget, $625K take. Already streaming multiple places. Decent reviews. Seems like a marketing fail.

1 Like

Yeah, I had planned to watch it if I could, but the release was limited so wasn’t on anywhere near me.

1 Like

It’s an example of joint struggles film studios have had with the pandemic and the growth of monster franchises dominating cinema. In an era where there is a general lack of faith in a return for a cinema distribution in general, and even less so for something that doesn’t have an inbuilt fan base due to its IP, lots of films are struggling to find its niche. Increasingly you’re seeing very limited cinema runs with little to no marketing done simply to satisfy some contractual agreement with them then pushed to some premium streaming service ASAP in the expectation that is the only place people will actually watch it.

In a sort of related point, over the weekend Jeremy Renner was hospitalized after a snow plough accident on his ranch. This is a guy who got back to back Oscar nominations during the early phase of his career yet if you asked 10 people who he is and what he’s done, how many would say something that wasn’t Avengers related? This is not only what dominates cinema now, but there is a genuine feeling in Hollywood that even with stars attached, you cannot do box office for normal films that don’t have massive franchise IP associated with them. This was increasingly the feeling even before the pandemic and that experience just exacerbated it.

3 Likes