The Film Thread

The dominance of streaming seems to announce the death of the star system, at least for now.

1 Like

When I first saw Nicholas Hoult mentioned I thought that this might be an interesting movie…then I saw Nick Cage’s name and got a totally different vibe…still interesting but in a totally different way :rofl:

Apparently it went into pre-production with Dexter Fletcher as director, but he left to do something else. I know he has a serious resume, but I still struggle with the idea of Spike from Press Gang being a legit hollywood player

In trying to save the last bit of Christmas, over the weekend we watched Spirited, the Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds Musical reinterpretation of Scrooge. It’s brilliant. It’s a smart interpretation of Scrooge and Ferrell and Reynolds play off each other so well.

1 Like

Probably the first Will Ferrell movie I’m tempted to watch in a long time.

will ferrell frank the tank GIF

2 Likes

Can’t decide whether that will be brilliant or an utter car crash.

watched Maverick on the plane home. solid sequel. great cinematics and camera work. truly enjoyable. must have cost a mint to make it.

2 Likes

Discovered this guy. Surprisingly insightful for a piss take. Aimless fun:

House quiet, family out. Just watched Shawshank again. Phone didn’t leave the table. Aside from the first 3 mins and the rape scene, happy for jnr to watch it now. Can’t wait.

Going back to this issue I just listened to a podcast with a guy who runs a supposedly top data analytics firm. These are the companies that help studios project what sort of opening a film will have and how to tweak their marketing to better hit their target demo. Lots of the typical stuff was raised, but he raised a point that media has fractured and marketing campaigns are no longer able to raise awareness of new releases when they are associated with new IP. If it’s Marvel it doesnt matter because most fans will already be searching out when the next film launches, but he used to be able to track a blockbuster going from no name recognition to widespread over the course of a 4 week TV campaign. Using all the best methods the ad exes know now, you just cannot generate that awareness anymore.

1 Like

Currently watching Triple Frontier (2019, Netflix) and I must say I haven’t watched such a good action movie in a while.

Good cast with Oscar Isaac, Ben Affleck, Pedro Pascal and Charlie Hunnam.

Good watch, go through all that trouble only to be forced into ditching all the money…& the horse that falls of the cliff :sob: :sob:

… best way to advertise is live sports. Only time people watch broadcast television, instead of streaming. And streaming services are circling, because of advertising money.

From https://twitter.com/kbadenhausen/status/1611354847701344264?t=Yw91xaMXQw2ufCvUwd_sBA&s=19

Just watching the end of Flash Gordon 1980 :rofl:

Brilliantly over the top(and thats just Mings outfit) :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I saw passing mention of The Menu and watched it last night. I laughed my arse off throughout. Utterly brilliant film and the previews dont do it justice at all.

1 Like

I really enjoyed it. Think Nicholas Hoult was the standout tbh. Got me looking forward to Renfield

Was staying at my dads last night and we were talking about comedies. We both really enjoy the Naked Gun, and Airplane. Plus I recently got him to watch In Bruges and The Banshees of Inisherin; both of which he enjoyed. Then I mentioned the Python films (Life of Brian is arguably my favourite film ever) and he revealed to me that somehow he had never seen any of the Pythons films before. Cue watching the Life of Brian. He was laughing throughout ( who doesnt?) but the bit that broke him was obviously regarding certain fwend fwom wome - he was in tears through the entire scene. A nice way to spend the evening.

5 Likes

Life of Brian and Holy Grail are absolute classics but I also find “And Now for Something Completely Different…” is worth a watch as a nice introduction to the original TV series sketches.

Meaning Of Life was a bit of a mixed bag. I’d argue that it has the two best musical sequences that they did (Galaxy Song and Every Sperm Is Sacred) but a lot of the rest was just trying to be offensive for the sake of it. Having said that, when I first saw the Mr Creosote sketch I laughed myself senseless in the cinema for 5 minutes afterwards. Quentin Tarantino said it was the most disturbing thing that he had ever seen on screen which, presumably, means that he has never watched any of his own films.

2 Likes