The Film Thread

I’m just curious as to what films people are looking forward to this year.

For me there are a couple of historical films that I’ve been looking out for; Oppenheimer with Cillian Murphy and Golda with Helen Mirren.

The second part of the Dune film is due out and I expect that my wife will also want to watch “65” because dinosaurs.

“The Last Voyage of the Demeter” sounds intriguing - it’s an adaptation of one of the chapters of Dracula.

Aside from those there appear to be a huge number of sequels, remakes and franchises (which all includes Dune, I suppose).

Are there any original or quirky films that are coming up that you are looking forward to?

Happy days man :slight_smile:

@RedWhippet Python’s back catalogue is a bit like ours. Supreme highs and so many lows. A lot of their stuff was dreadful but when they got it right, they were the best.

Have you been through The Goons radio programs? Python origins and equally up and down.

2 Likes

Looks as though most the blockbuster films this year are going to be carry on repeats, Fast X…Magic Mike 3, Scream VI, Creed 3 (one I’m probably looking forward to the most as well as the new Mission Impossible) etc.

Also Plane coming out this Friday with Butler and Colter, probably be average at best but some of my favourite films have come from action thrillers which’ve taken place on planes.

1 Like

It’s a great film, if I had any complaints, it’s that the ending was abit meh…

Aside from Marvel, the other films I’m looking forward to are:

Knock at the Cabin
Dungeons and Dragons
Asteroid City
Dune 2
The Color Purple

If you want quirky and original then Asteroid City is your best bet from this list. It’s a Wes Anderson with a fantastic cast list.

Last voyage of Demeter does sound like an interesting premise, but don’t know a lot about it at the moment.

2 Likes

Good question.

Salem’s Lot (if released finally)
Dementer
Renfield
John Wick 4
Evil Dead Rises
The Exorcist.

1 Like

Meaning of Life is inconsistent, much like Flying Circus, but had many moments of quality. The Crimson Permanent Insurance is up there with Gilliams best contributions to Python, Christmas in Heaven is good fun,and throughout the film there are little gems. Saying, in the most ludicrous French accent possible, “a wafer thin mint” will always tickle me. There definitely are moments throughtout the film where they would have benefited from some restraint, but its worth a watch.

1 Like

Renfield is a film that promises to very interesting. Hopefully it fulfils its promise, but if it doesnt it’ll bad in a very fun way. Guarenteed to be a memorable watch either way.

Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Dogtooth, The Favourite) has a film slated to come out this year called Poor Things. If his previous work is anything to go by it’ll be worth a watch.

Beyond that I have no idea what is slated to come out this year.

Even Renfield is a turn to familiar IP rather than creating something new. Universal has felt very left out in the cold due to their lack of superhero IP and has tried to use the various classic monsters to fill that gap for them. It’s failed miserably so far in terms of the individual films’ successes and their ability to a launch a shared universe. Renfield is their new twist on the approach - using the monster as a sidebar in a dark comedy. If the film works, expect more films like this. I suspect the idea will get old very quickly, but am still hopeful the film itself can be worthwhile.

1 Like

Just watched that again and I too was in tears. That has to be one of the funniest sketches ever…I was a student in the days of MP and it was always the main topic of conversation next day. It really broke the mould of comedy at the time.

1 Like

1 Like

Finally got round to watching Ad Astra….aaaaaand boy was this disappointing.

Human flesh eating monkeys in space? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
1hr and 50 mins of the film time it takes him to go from Earth to Neptune via Mars (for a little debrief and recording some messages over and over whatever shit he was doing) and then getting back to Earth from Neptune after “completing” his mission yeah no problem we’ll av ya picked up in 10.

Mehh wasn’t for me.

Watched 47 Ronin last night. :+1:

I watched The Menu lastnight,from the very little I’d seen or heard of it,i just thought it was going to be a film on the workings of a Michelin starred chef in his kitchen,how wrong was i lol not what i was expecting at all,i thought it was a very good film.

2 Likes

Yeah I was hyped up about it when it came out and I agree with you, it was a let-down

Public service announcement:

This is Spinal Tap has just been added to iPlayer.

3 Likes

There are certain numbers that have passed into legend. 11 is up there with 42.

Final Score

Why not use West Ham’s old ground as a shoot out site for terrorists…that’s probably as good as it was for anyway….bit of a shame to see Pierce Brosnan’s gone from the heights of bond to pulling the trigger with the gun in his mouth :worried:

Every Breathe You Take

Talented cast but even as a viewer its hard to ignore the stupidity and sillyness of the screenwriting.

Went to my local cinema today, after many years of not having one in my local town.
Saw ’ A Man Called Otto’. First time in years I had a good cry watching the film. A kind a heartbreaking, but heart-warming film. It makes you still believe there are good people in the world that still care for their neighbours and local comnunity. Very endearing and well worth a watch, especially the funny supporting characters.

5 Likes

Never knew this… maybe if we ever need to dodge the wrath of the mods, we could learn to speak Klingon in the heated posts eh :0)

Development and Use of the Klingon Language – Klingon Language Institute

Klingon Language Certification Program – Klingon Language Institute

Learn Klingon Online – Level 1 taghwI’ (Beginner) – Klingon Language Institute

Klingon Phrases – Klingon Language Institute

HaHa…
Hab SoSI’ Quch!.. OR Your Mother has a smooth forehead :rofl: