The Film Thread

I was reading an article about constructed languages last week. There have been some notable linguists involved in made-up languages for films. One that intrigued me was Anthony Burgess (who wrote A Clockwork Orange) created a caveman language for a film called Quest For Fire.

Isn’t the problem with Klingon is that it has lots of words involving warp drives and phasors but very little in the way of pleasantries and small-talk? Much like the Klingons themselves, I suppose.

2 Likes

Classic film, that. Ron Perlman is… err… very Ron Perlman-esque in it.

1 Like

Will let ya know in about 10yrs when I’ve learnt to pronounce about a dozen words or so :0)

Saw this a couple of days ago. Very strange, very patchy. At times brilliant, at times awful. Worth seeing though.

1 Like

Watched back 2 of my all time favourites, certainly in recent time, in Captain Phillips & Eye in the Sky.

Both films superbly acted out, especially by Barkhad Abdi who plays very contrasting roles in the 2 films.

Genuine intense thrill rides, stories written out to perfection as if it were real life situations.

One of my all time favourite movies.

4 Likes

Animated GIF

Can’t believe I never watched it till recently. The irony of him walking into the jaws of a card shark :rofl:

That is a classic!! Paul Newman is such a fantastic actor, loved many of his films. He should have won more Oscars.

2 Likes

Bullet Train was really disappointing. I don’t know what I expected but it was eye rollingly try hard in its dialogue and style.

Reminded me of Ad Astra…as in a Brad Pitt vehicle looking promising but ultimately disappointing

I thought it was excellent low brow entertainment. It pretty much nailed what it was going for I think.

2 Likes

Trying to stay open minded about the DC phase 1, but I’m so jaded and cynical from their last attempt at a shared universe that it’s difficult to get excited by this.
Maybe when they announce actors and release trailers, but at the moment it all seems underwhelming, and very half-hearted since they’re continuing with all the non-DCU movies like The Batman and Joker sequels.

2 Likes

I’m really not interested in Wonder Woman (I’m too young to remember Lynda Carter and I’m not a fan of Gal Gadot’s portrayal - it really should have been Eva Green in her place) and Supergirl. However, Swamp Thing TV show got an undeserved and early cancellation and I hope it is done justice by the film. That said, the film probably won’t have anything to do with the show, at least in terms of cast and people behind the camera.

Meanwhile, Lanterns could be a winner, too, it’s an interesting character.

1 Like

Lynda Carter was fantastic as Wonder Woman. Gal Gadot on the other hand was just Arantxa Sánchez Vicario on steroids.

Crimes of the Future

Genuinely have no idea what I just watched, or why I watched…unlike anything I recall seeing before (and not in a good way).

Something about some guy who gets his organs taken out…& they have tattoo’s on them and then they start engaging in all this voodoo gobshite fuck knows …anyway.

Looked more like a daughter taking care of her terminally ill father.

Thought maybe it was based off some novel but turns out not…

Hella boring too.

Star Trek Prodigy…pretty good premise and start…let’s see how it goes.three episodes in so far

1 Like

Watched Glass Onion last night and am surprised at how much i really enjoyed it. Loved the first one too. Hopefully Rian Johnson & Daniel Craig do some more of these films.

4 Likes